Broadcast Journalism Intern [Entertainment]Bookmark This
DescriptionThe goal of an internship in journalism is to apply knowledge acquired in the classroom to real-world situations, as well as gain the skills and experience that is necessary to prepare the student for a successful career in journalism.
** Please Note the Area/Interest in Writing In the Title of this Post. Looking for Specific Subject Writers**
POSITION PURPOSE: We encourage creativity and innovation in order to expand and develop current national initiatives and programs. The idea of this internship is not to get “pigeonholed” into one set project or task, but to be able to encourage the intern to utilize his or her strengths, as every individual has a different area of passion, knowledge, and expertise. The goal for our team is to provide a comprehensive, valued, and positive internship experience with an open line of communication on how our team can continue to take VAIN LLC to new heights. We are seeking individuals with tremendous passion and drive, individuals who demonstrate confidence in communication, and encompass the ability to take initiative and showcase project leadership on a daily basis. We are dedicated to finding interns who are humble and willing to work for the betterment of the VAIN reader experience.
VAIN LLC Public Relations Highlights: VAIN LLC is an international multimedia company. We provide everything from online, digital and in print publishing to beauty and apparel products. Our motto at VAIN LLC is "Curate Your Life" and we communicate this ideology in everything that we do. We are currently seeking interns who are interested in building a career in online publishing and broadcast journalism. Student must be highly motivated leaders and have aspirations of becoming Editor-in-Chief or Managing Editor of a major publication. VAIN LLC is seeking interns who could learn the entertainment media business, grow and become fulltime staff within the organization. Applicants must be a self-starters, creative, personable and hard working.
Internship Overview: Internships are professional experiences that students participate in to gain professional skills and experiences. Internships are structured as learning experiences that combine in-class theory with real-world applications.. It is VAIN LLC’s goal to instill the basic teachings of marketing and public relations. We hope it is a beneficial relationship for both parties.
ResponsibilitiesTYPICAL JOB DUTIES
(Internship, specific responsibilities may include):
• Research, fact check and collect data for various materials
• Gather story ideas and write/produce news stories and scripts for Video Production
• Multi-task and prioritize to set and meet deadlines
• Meet these deadlines by working at a quick & steady pace while still
• Maintaining quality/error free work
• Effectively communicate with all levels of staff and external audiences
• Participate in brainstorming and strategizing sessions
• Covering local events (i.e., festivals, performances, grand openings, award
• Writing feature articles for a blog, digital magazine and in print magazine
• Photojournalism opportunities
• Assist with editorial projects and provide support to the Communications Editor.
• Proofreading both hard and electronic files, basic copy-editing, and writing of proposals and reports;
• Assisting with or proofing of basic ads, flyers, brochures, invitations, etc.
• Work on special projects, as needed
• Attend VAIN LLC wide meetings, including regular intern briefings about VAIN LLC.
• Be able to ask difficult questions, often in an emotionally charged situation
• Follow current events, always looking for a story opportunity
• Be able to develop a source
• Pitch story ideas to editors and producers
• Attend news conferences
• Stay up to date with privacy, contempt and defamation laws
• Performs related duties as required
As a journalist, you may find yourself:
• interviewing people in a wide range of circumstances
• writing copy for publication on a tight deadline
• building contacts and sources for use in future stories
• fact-checking the information given to you by a source
• creating blog publications
REPORTING LINE: The Intern reports directly to the VAIN LLC Editorial Director.
SUPERVISORY DUTIES: None
QUALIFICATIONS: Ability to be highly organized and have good planning skills. Excellent oral and written communication skills. Ability to work with diverse populations and those with special needs or limitations.
TIME COMMITMENT: The Intern will work a variety of different hours depending on the time of the year and if a hiring period is scheduled. The Intern can expect to work 20 hours in a typical week. We honor the 20-minute break for each 4-hour shift worked (including back-to-back shifts). For further information on the 20-minute break, please review the Intern/Employee Guidelines.
EVALUATIONS: Performed by the Assistant Director of HR-Student Development
COMPENSATION: Non-Paid / College Credit
RequirementsJOB KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS REQUIRED:
1. Strong organization and communication skills.
2. Ability to work independently and as a team.
3. Possess and exhibit a strong and genuine interest in working with people and the ability to interact at all levels of the organization
4. Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information
5. Journalism/PR major or equivalent
6. Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and AP Style
7. Command of Microsoft Office, Internet, and e-mail applications.
8. Able to work within a tight deadline
9. Curious about the world around you
10. General understanding of current events
11. Ability to delve deeper
12. Amazing communication skills, both written and oral
13. Strong editing and proofreading skills
14. Eye for detail
15. Excellent written English, editing, and organizational skills
16. Must have an outgoing personality
17. Ability to multitask
18. Familiarity with photography, video and audio content gathering and editing skills
19. Photography and video skills a plus.