Fall Editorial Internship at MediaiteBookmark This
DescriptionDo you have an obsession with Mitt Romney that you just cannot explain? Do you try to inject what happened on The O'Reilly Factor last night into everyday conversation? Have you – or someone you love – ever considered purchasing a Joe Biden koozie?
If you answered "yes" to any of these questions, you might want to consider spending at least 2 days per week this fall semester interning with Mediaite (www.mediaite.com). The ideal candidate is a current college or graduate student looking for hands-on writing experience at a news startup.
With over 20 million hits per month, Mediaite is one of the leading voices in politics, media, entertainment and everything in between. In a 24-hour span, we give readers everything from a Romney gaffe to an Anderson Cooper interview to a recap of Survivor. We've been mentioned on all the major cable news networks, and they get mentioned daily on Mediaite. Our writers and editors make national appearances on radio and TV. We interview Presidential candidates and stars of Discover Card commercials with the same detail to attention and level of interest. This election has been dubbed the most important of our time; you'll be in the midst of its coverage.
As an intern, you’ll be doing some of the “grunt work” that you’d expect from an editorial internship: deleting unsavory comments from our site, adding technical elements to stories, and transcribing interviews. But, much more importantly, you'll be writing stories that literally millions of people will see, and you'll be doing so during one of the most-watched election battles of modern times. You'll be collecting bylines and padding a portfolio of writing samples. You'll be learning from some of the most talented writers and editors in the industry.
Mediaite is a property of Abrams Media. Abrams Media is a group of editorial websites including Mediaite, a media news website; Geekosystem, a site devoted to tech and geek culture; Styleite, which covers beauty and fashion; SportsGrid, on sports and sports-related media; The Mary Sue, a site for female geeks; The Braiser, devoted to celebrity chefs; and The Jane Dough, which examines the business and political worlds through the female prism. Our CEO, Dan Abrams, is the on-air Legal Analyst for ABC News, an anchor for that network and the former General Manager of MSNBC.
If interested, please attach ALL of the following documents to your application email to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org:
• A resume/CV, including references
• A brief (one-page) cover letter explaining why your experience, knowledge and personality make you the ideal intern for our site
• Any three samples of your academic or journalistic writing, each preferably in a different style (long-form vs. short-form, magazine vs. blog, etc.). If you do not have examples to send, feel free to write up three sample posts that you could see appearing on Mediaite.
• Our fall internships run from September to December, with flexible start and end dates
• The internship is based in our offices in SoHo, New York (although the right candidate can work remotely). Interns would need to be able to work a minimum of 2 days per week.
• Interns must be current college or graduate students who can receive academic credit for the internship; interns will be unpaid