Deseret News National Edition Student InternshipsBookmark This
Salt Lake City
Salt Lake City, UT
Posted: October 17 2016
Always be on the alert for potentially fraudulent job postings online - never send money to a potential employer.
DescriptionThe Deseret News is continuously looking for talented seasonal student intern writers. Interns will produce stories about seven social issues: family, faith, education, finance, media/entertainment, health and wellness, and solutions to poverty.
Paid, seasonal interns get hands-on experience writing daily stories for web publication, as well as the opportunity to work on several longer-form, original stories alongside seasoned, full-time reporters. They are expected to cover a national beat, keeping up on daily news and participating in national online conversations through their own articles and social media. Interns write primarily for the National Sunday Edition of the Deseret News, a website with more than 4 million monthly visitors (national.deseretnews.com), also available in print as a weekly publication with 60,000 subscribers.
We are especially interested in interns who have a background or interest in issues related to family, faith, education, finance, media/entertainment, health and wellness, and solutions to poverty. We are also open to tailoring an internship experience for someone with a particular interest in data journalism or another unique expertise.
Internships are paid and are approximately four months (one semester) in duration.
In order to be considered for this internship, you must include with your application a 1) cover letter, 2) resume, and 3) published writing samples (cannot be class papers). You may attach as many documents as you'd like to the online application. (Documents should be uploaded in the same section of the online application as your resume and cover letter.)
• Produce one web-sourced news story on a current issue each day
• Produce two or more in-depth, originally reported stories over the course of the internship
• Writing that is engaging, thoughtful, enlightening, informative, rigorous and entertaining
• A creative take on current issues and an ability to find unique story angles, as well as creatively use data, video, social media and other tools to enhance stories
• Ability to work independently and be a self-starter
• Training in journalism or other writing experience involving critical/analytical thinking
• Knowledge of current events
• Ability to take regular feedback and work with editors in a professional environment
• Ability to write on deadline and take assignments on short notice
• Commitment to Deseret Media Companies mission and values: http://deseretmanagement.com/mission-statement/
The Deseret News is part of a dynamic media company whose mission is to be a trusted voice of light and knowledge for a growing national audience focused on faith and family issues. The Project for Excellence in Journalism reported on innovations at the Deseret News: http://www.journalism.org/analysis_report/deseret_news_changing_two_media_cultures
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT ema