Archive Internship (unpaid)Pacific Science Center
Museum InternBaker Heritage Museum
Family Engagement InternSpringfield Museums
Visitor Experience Play Maker InternStepping Stones Museum for Children
Curatorial InternInternational Bowling Museum and Hall of Fame
Museum Education InternshipFraunces Tavern Museum
Student Internships at the Vermont Granite MuseumVermont Granite Museum
Museum Live Animal Husbandry InternshipThe Schiele Museum of Natural History
School Partnership CoordinatorBookmark This
The Franklin Institute
222 North 20th Street
Posted: June 29 2014
Always be on the alert for potentially fraudulent job postings online - never send money to a potential employer.
DescriptionPosition Summary: This part-time internship during the academic year is in support of a joint program between The Franklin Institute and its partner magnet high school, Science Leadership Academy (SLA). In this program, called Wednesdays @ The Franklin, SLA students arrive at The Franklin Institute on Wednesday afternoons to take part in informal, 2-8 week long “Mini-Courses,” which focus on topics in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) and make use of Museum resources.
Depending on your background, you may assist in planning and will have the opportunity to teach a mini-course. Core responsibilities include:
- Chaperoning exhibit-visits
- Guiding students who get lost in the building
- Addressing technical difficulties in mini-courses
- Addressing setup issues
- Addressing student disruptions
- Walking the Museum to ensure that students aren't cutting class or disrupting visitor experiences
- Supervising break time
- Checking on classes
- Guiding educators to their mini-course locations and answering questions
- Acting as a liaison to specific mini-course instructors
Education Requirements: Must be enrolled in, or have graduated from, a bachelor’s degree program. Education majors and science/engineering/math majors are encouraged to apply.
Special Skills Required:
- Must work well with high school students
- Must have strong inter-personal skills
- Must be comfortable disciplining students
- Must be able to juggle multiple tasks
Schedule Requirements: Must be available on Wednesdays 12:00pm-4:00pm. A small number of additional hours may be added, if possible, to fit the intern’s schedule. Applicants must be able to commit to a full semester, preferably the full academic year.
OTHER REQUIREMENTS: This position involves direct contact with children. Interns must meet background clearance requirements before they can begin
Position Reports To: SLA-TFI Liaison
To apply for this position, please contact The Franklin Institute at email@example.com or 215-448-1163 to request an Internship Application.