Volunteer Department and Community Partnership InternBookmark This
Zoo New England
1 Franklin Park Rd.
DescriptionZoo New England (ZNE) is the private non-profit organization responsible for the management of Franklin Park Zoo in Boston and Stone Zoo in Stoneham, Massachusetts. The 72-acre Franklin Park Zoo opened in 1912 as part of the Frederick Law Olmstead Emerald Necklace, and the 26-acre Stone Zoo opened in 1905 and is situated in the Middlesex Fells Reservation. Zoo New England's mission is to inspire people to protect and sustain the natural world for future generations by creating fun and engaging experiences that integrate wildlife and conservation programs, research, and education.
This internship is based in the outreach department, where the intern will help the departments with group volunteers, community outreach and volunteer coordination. There is both outside work and office administration work. They will be helpful in creating projects for volunteer groups throughout the summer, work with these groups and facilitate a growing relationship with community.
- Spend up to 20 hours per week coordinating group volunteers and projects
- Email correspondence between corporate, community, and school groups
- Meet with various departments to come up with projects
- Assist volunteer coordinator
- Participate in staffing zoo wide events
- Check request item for raffle pass applications
- Check donation exchange for community pass applications
- Fulfill community and raffle donation
- Open, sort and respond to mail
- Help with community events onsite and offsite
Requirements- Must be college student looking to enhance skills in Museum Studies, Volunteer Management, Non-profit Management or a related field
- Must be organized and diligent, self started and motivated
- Must be gregarious, friendly and personable, able to speak to large crowds and memorize information
- Able to improvise
- Enjoy working outside in all weather conditions
- Able to have flexibility with hours and days, changing weekly