Summer Intership Opportunities with Frazier MuseumFrazier History Museum
Campus Internship - $23/hr - NationwideVeryones
Curatorial Internship - Summer & Fall 2017 AvailableAACA Museum
Automotive Curatorial Internship - Summer & Fall 2017 AvailableAACA Museum
Volunteer Management InternshipPro Football Hall of Fame
Museum InternCaptain's Cove Seaport
ITALIAN AMERICAN MUSEUM OF LOS ANGELES PAID SUMMER INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITYItalian American Museum of Los Angeles
Volunteer Services InternOMSI
Rakow Research Library Special Collections & Archives InternshipBookmark This
Corning Museum of Glass
5 Museum Way
Posted: November 16 2015
Application Deadline: Available Year-round
Position: Part-time, Unpaid
Always be on the alert for potentially fraudulent job postings online - never send money to a potential employer.
DescriptionThe Rakow Research Library is the world’s foremost library on the art and history of glass and glassmaking, covering subject areas from archaeology to zoology and everything glass in between. The Special Collections & Archives department holds nearly 200 unique collections from glass manufacturers, studios, renowned glass artists and scholars, as well as design drawings and works of art on paper.
Crafted to meet the professional skills desired by the intern, this internship will provide career-relevant, hands-on experience with special collections and archival materials.
Training and Development:
• Gain knowledge about the library’s collections and archives.
• Build a network of working professionals in the library and archival fields.
• Through practice, enhance analytic, observation, and organizational skills.
• Learn about archival theory and the best practices in the professional field.
• The intern will submit a self-reflection piece upon completion of the internship, addressing his/her work experiences during the program. The essay format will be flexible, to be chosen by the intern.
• 15% Discount in The Corning Museum of Glass Shops
• 15% Discount in The Corning Museum of Glass Café
• Free admission to the museum for you and your guests
Ability to commit to at least 10 hours/week is preferred, and we can offer some flexibility regarding terms and hours. This internship is unpaid, but we will provide you with valuable work experience in a unique library setting. We are happy to work with your institution to arrange for course credit when possible.
Please send a cover letter expressing career goals and interest in the internship, along with a curriculum vitae to firstname.lastname@example.org
ResponsibilitiesThe intern will work through all phases of processing an archival collection, beginning with accessioning, preserving, researching, arrangement and description, and culminating in the creation of an online finding aid in ArchivesSpace archival management software.
Additionally, the intern will participate in special collections/archives activities, including reference, and education and outreach, to gain a comprehensive overview of the operation of a special collections and archives department. The intern will put into practice techniques learned in courses, analyze archival issues as they come up in a real world setting, and observe principles of good practice. Throughout, the intern will be introduced to current archival theory, and best practices and standards in the profession.
Requirements• Interest in the archive profession.
• Current or recent graduate student in a Library Science program
• Coursework/experience in archiving.
• Strong organizational skills and attention to details
• Excellent communication and time management skills
• Ability to work independently; ability to take direction; willingness to ask questions
• Ability to work with foreign language materials
• Ability to work in a Windows environment; proficiency with Microsoft Office applications
• Ability to lift 25 pounds and push a book cart