Creative Services InternshipImagem Music
Social Media Marketing ManagerSkye Lab Music Group
Music Licensing InternshipLip Sync Music
Audio Engineering InternshipAudionamix
Marketing & Social Media ManagerLABROS FILIPPOU
Video Production InternMmmmaven
Marketing Intern at a Music Management CollectiveFACTION Entertainment
Marketing Intern (Music)Black Emerald Music Group
Music Habilitation CoordinatorBookmark This
335 Nichols Road
Posted: August 12 2016
Application Deadline: Available Year-round
Position: Full-time, Unpaid
Always be on the alert for potentially fraudulent job postings online - never send money to a potential employer.
DescriptionLife Care Centers of America
Music Habilitation Coordinator
18 or 36 Hour Internship Available
Summer or Fall 2016
(Fitchburg, Leominster and surrounding areas)
5.4 million people in the United States are currently diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease and that number is expected to triple by 2050. Every 67 seconds another person is diagnosed with AD and currently there is no cure.
For years it was thought that the only way to reduce the negative side effects caused by Alzheimer’s was through the use of antipsychotic medications which are dangerous and can actually increase confusion and limit the person’s ability to communicate.
There is a new innovative approach to dementia care that offers real benefits for those suffering from this debilitating disease.
This therapeutic approach is easy to implement and consists of customized playlists loaded onto digital players with headphones.
The award winning film “Alive Inside” demonstrates the use of individualized playlists for those with dementia and how the music stimulates different regions of the brain causing the person to come alive!
The strategies for the implementation of therapeutic music has proven to have a positive effect and Life Care Centers of America is on a mission to reduce antipsychotics, decrease emotional suffering and create a way for people with dementia to express themselves through the use of music.
The position will be working with the Activity, Social Service and Rehabilitation Departments at Life Care Centers of America in the implementation of these therapeutic strategies. Music is linked to emotions and past memories and “The Soundtrack of Life” offers an alternative to conventional methods of treatment for depression, negative behaviors and isolation which is symptomatic in those diagnosed with irreversible dementia.
• Creation of individualized playlists from interviews (family and patient)
• Load songs from iTunes or from similar sites onto MP3 players, CDs or iPads
• List songs on the “Personal Playlist Form”
• Track and monitor the outcomes when the playlists are used on the “Behavioral Tracking Log”
• Edit play lists as needed
• Help patients gain access to audiobooks, TV shows and movies
• Maintain and track the cleaning of digital equipment and personal headphones
• Monitor condition of music equipment
• Encourage use of individualized music with the proper approach and one-to one interactions
• Keep a positive attitude when interacting with the patients and smile
All students will be required to attend a basic overview of dementia curriculum which includes a showing of the “Alive Inside” DVD.