Advocacy & Communications InternBookmark This
International Community of Women Living with HIV
1424 K Street, NW Suite 200
DescriptionThe International Community of Women Living with HIV is a dynamic global social justice organization working to lift up the voices of women living with HIV and secure their human rights. The Global Office at ICW Global supports the organization’s advocacy, movement building and organizational development goals. ICW Global is the global hub of the largest network of women living with HIV in the world. We work in 120 countries and with 10 regional affiliates in Asia Pacific, East Africa, West Africa, Central Africa, Southern Africa, Middle East and Northern Africa, Europe, North America, Latin America and the Caribbean. The internship will be based in Washington DC but our global headquarters is in Nairobi, Kenya.
Reporting and Mentoring: The selected intern will be mentored directly by the Global Advocacy Officer and Legal Fellow based in Washington, but will also work virtually with the Communications Officer and the rest of the ICW Global Office team worldwide. The physical location of the intern will be in the AIDS United offices with the ICW Global Legal Fellow.
Depending on their interests and background, interns may obtain skills and experience in:
• working for a truly global organization with team members around the world;
• advocacy strategy development;
• writing for advocacy, research, and media;
• website management and design;
• social media and email outreach;
• issues in global health, human rights, international development and philanthropy.
ResponsibilitiesJob Description and Responsibilities
ICW Global seeks an intern with interests in the following tasks:
• writing/editing/proofreading communications materials, including our monthly newsletter, research and advocacy publications and press releases;
• updating ICW Global website, social networks, and social media outlets, including twitter and facebook;
• interviewing regional leadership and reporting on the activities of our 10 regional networks;
• research on possible new communications strategies or practices for ICW Global;
• outreach to other organizations, including about our website and publications.
• translation of messages in other languages and cross culturally
A time commitment of 12 to 24 hours per week is preferred for at least three months in time periods aligned with typical school semesters as follows:
Internship Begins Application Deadline
Summer Late May or June April 30
Fall September July 15
Winter/Spring January November 15
Please note that this internship is unpaid. There may be opportunities for travel or global internships. ICW will be happy to work with any student to obtain university credit for their internship. Women, LGBTQ, and younger people living with HIV are strongly encouraged to apply.
• Interest in human rights, HIV, social justice, feminism, international affairs, poverty alleviation, or social justice;
• A general interest in and basic understanding of communications activities;
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs and database software, or the ability to learn quickly;
• Internet and other researching skills;
• Excellent attention to detail;
• Strong written and spoken communication skills;
• Advanced skills such as in journalism, graphic design, social media, web design and project management are a plus.