Advocacy InternBookmark This
Supportive Housing Providers Association
212 East Ohio Street, Ste 500
DescriptionThe Supportive Housing Providers Association (SHPA) is a statewide (Illinois) membership association of non-profit providers of supportive housing (affordable housing plus services for individuals and families who have been homeless and/or have special needs). SHPA knits its members together into a strong state and federal advocacy voice for supportive housing resources and policies. We provide advocacy updates and connect supportive housing staff and residents to federal and statewide advocacy campaigns. We help our members achieve and sustain quality supportive housing by connecting them with training and technical assistance. For supportive housing residents, we provide training and opportunities to participate in advocacy and in the association. We connect members with each other and with national leaders at quarterly membership meetings.
The intern(s) will work to support the advocacy efforts at SHPA. The intern(s) will create a statewide map of all the supportive housing agencies throughout the state of IL. The intern(s) will work on a statewide resource guide for residents and consumers of supportive housing. Intern(s) will support consumers in understanding the legislative process and how to get legislative updates. The intern(s) should be familiar with urban planning, able to research supportive housing agencies with the strong support from SHPA staff, the legislative process in Illinois, and researching legislative trends and policy. Working within the Chicago office, the intern will also support the mission and organizational goals of SHPA. SHPA is hoping a potential intern can receive academic credit for the work s/he does.
Responsibilities• Research supportive housing agencies in IL.
• Develop a statewide supportive housing map that consists of supportive housing agencies and organizations.
• Create a resource a statewide resource guide for supportive housing consumers.
• Support the organization in Days of Action and other advocacy events.
• Support the organization and coordination of SHPA meetings, conferences, and other events.
• Other duties as assigned
Requirements• Experience/familiarity with legislative process.
• Experience/familiarity with data collection and research projects.
• Experience/familiarity with urban planning
• Courteous manners with the public.
• Ability to work independently and with team members.