2015 GLOBE Summer InternshipThe Nature Conservancy
Dive Program Assistant InternVirginia Aquarium & Marine Science Center
Aquarist Assistant InternVirginia Aquarium & Marine Science Center
Summer Intern/Site ManagerEpworth Project
Human Services InternLupus Foundation of America, Florida Chapter
Bilingual Housing Counseling InternshipBookmark This
Asian American Homeownership Counseling, Inc.
12320 Parklawn Drive
DescriptionAsian American Homeownership Counseling, Inc. (AAHC) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit housing counseling agency dedicated to the stabilization and invigoration of the housing economy in Maryland, DC and Virginia. We are committed to empowering and inspiring immigrant communities through the American Dream of homeownership. AAHC provides multilingual first-time homebuyer counseling, foreclosure prevention, credit counseling, and financial education to increase homeownership success and place individuals on the road to financial self-sufficiency. AAHC is approved as a U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)-approved housing counseling agency and belongs to the Maryland HOPE Network.
Homeownership is a major contributing factor to quality of life and perception of well-being. AAHC believes Asian American and immigrant communities are greatly underserved in the housing industry and financial literacy education services.
AAHC's objective is to provide services to Asian Americans, Pacific Islanders, and other underserved communities. We aim to assist all community members, with a focus on immigrant, Limited English Proficiency (LEP), and low income communities, in achieving homeownership. AAHC also offers financial literacy education to allow clients to maintain their homes for a lifetime.
Full-time interns provide administrative and other support as part of the AAHC team to strengthen communities by embracing a comprehensive revitalization approach to personal asset development and community growth. Interns will be involved in the day-to-day operations of AAHC including:
• Participation in meetings and training sessions.
• Assisting housing counselors to deliver services tailored to each client's unique circumstances.
• Assisting in drafting action plans to get clients’ mortgage ready.
• Assisting with evening and/or weekend workshops, including scheduling, marketing, and procuring speakers.
• Assisting in preparation of activity reports.
• Assisting with updating client information on CMS
• Assisting in incoming calls and take client intakes
• Researching and compiling data for grant proposals.
• Special projects and additional duties as assigned by management.
FULL TIME INTERNS regularly work 40 hours/week
This is an unpaid position requiring a minimum commitment of 6 months. Interns receive 5 days of vacation/sick leave. A small transportation stipend available.
** As an organization started by volunteers, AAHC believes in hiring from within. The majority of our staff started as interns and career opportunities may be available. Interns may receive professional training and certification as a housing counselor, as funding allows.
ResponsibilitiesInterns will be responsible for assisting with daily office operations, assisting housing counselors, performing telephone and in-person client in-takes, reviewing and updating client case files and management system, participating in workshop and community outreach, special projects and other duties as necessary.
RequirementsExperience and Skills:
• Bilingual written and verbal fluency in English and another language, including but not limited to Hindi, Bengali, Burmese, Chinese (Mandarin and/or Cantonese), Vietnamese, Korean, Arab, Tagalog or Spanish.
• Desire to serve the community.
• Ability to work well with a wide variety of people.
• Excellent organizational and research skills.
• Excellent communication, interpersonal and presentation skills, both written and verbal.
• Proven ability to work as a self-starter and team member.
• Ability to work independently.
• Demonstrated strong judgment and integrity.
• Career oriented and self-motivated work ethic
• Experience with Microsoft Office suite, including Word, Excel, Power Points, Photo shop, and Acrobat, etc.
• Ability to maneuver Social Media networks: Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, etc.
• Familiar with E-marketing tools: iContact or Constant Contact, etc.
• Commitment to maintaining high service standards.
• Coursework or experience in a field related to marketing, communications, nonprofit management, real estate, finance, law, grant writing, housing counseling and education.