Communications InternshipBookmark This
1000 Jefferson Drive SW
DescriptionThe Smithsonian Institution's Office of Advancement has available an unpaid internship for students with an interest in Communications and Fundraising.
The Campaign Communications intern will gain practical, hands-on experience in a busy agency-like environment, coordinating and producing a wide range of projects in support of the Smithsonian’s Advancement efforts, including:
• Correspondence, including gift acknowledgements, membership and fundraising letters;
• PowerPoint presentations, remarks, and reports to boards and Smithsonian leadership;
• Printed materials, including annual reports, brochures, campaign case statements, invitations, and mailings;
• Photography selection, organization, and implementation of a comprehensive Smithsonian-wide Digital Asset Management System (DAMS), integrating approved images into the campaign web portal and other media; and
• Assisting with other related OA communications projects as needed.
To learn more and apply for this position, go to: http://www.si.edu/giving/giv_internships.html
RequirementsThe preferred candidate will possess the following qualifications:
• Undergraduate or graduate student in communications, nonprofit management, or a related field with a demonstrated interest in communications and/or fundraising activities ;
• Demonstrated research and writing skills (include 3 writing samples);
• Strong computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office and Adobe, especially proficiency in using Powerpoint/Keynote and Photoshop, Illustrator and/or InDesign;
• Available at least 20 hours/week for 12 weeks, during regular Monday-Friday business hours.
• Strong organizational skills, attention to detail and interpersonal skills;
• Interest in learning to assist with the management of a complex flow of documents that require collaboration and multiple approvals;
• Ability to exercise discretion and maintain confidentiality; and
• Interest in photography and design a plus.
The Office of Advancement, Campaign Communications is located on the 4th floor of the Smithsonian Institution Building (the Castle) on the National Mall in Washington, D.C.