Editorial / Journalism InternBookmark This
The Perseus Foundation
To educate the public and scientific community about the biologic similarity of cancer in pets and people; also, to communicate the ways in which comparative oncology is accelerating the treatment, and prevention of cancer.
To encourage and promote research focused on the biologic similarity of cancer in pets and people that will expedite therapeutic and preventive benefits for both.
To create, through its sister organization, The Elessar Inn, a pilot for the first hospitality house for dogs undergoing extended cancer treatment in the Washington, DC, Virginia and Maryland areas. A home away from home for pets and their humans. (2015)
Ask Us. Drop us en email or call us and we will prepare an individualized packet for you.
Perseus and the Arts. Through a fusion of the arts and science this program is an extension of our community outreach educational programs and seminars.
TagAlong. One of our volunteers accompanies a pet owner during the first visit to the veterinary oncologist.
The Magic Bullet Fund. Provides financial assistance to people who have dogs with cancer but cannot afford the high costs of treatment.
The Teddy Bear Fund. A financial assistance for cat owners who cannot afford cancer treatment. (Fall 2013)
The MiliDog Fund. For retired and active dogs in the military to assist with the financial burden of cancer treatment or other life threatening conditions. (Spring 2014)
Pets& Pals ( Fall 2014). A program designed for pediatric oncology patients. Our goal is to bring together children who have cancer with dogs who have survived cancer.
Oversight of the main website and its satellite websites, as well.
Responsibilities- Assist with editorial projects and provide support to the Communications Editor.
- Proofreading both hard and electronic files, basic copyediting, and writing of proposals and reports;
- Assisting with or proofing of basic ads, flyers, brochures, invitations, etc.
- Work on special projects, as needed
Requirements- Working towards a Bachelor’s degree in journalism, public relations, English, business communications, or communication arts.
- Strong organizational and communication skills with keen attention to detail and problem solving skills
- Knowledge of MS Office applications, especially Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Experience/interest in Web maintenance
- Familiarity with Adobe In Design and Adobe Acrobat is a plus