Events InternBookmark This
Amnesty International USA
5 Penn Plaza
New York, NY
DescriptionAmnesty International is an international grassroots movement organized by over 3 million people around the world standing up for human rights. Amnesty International investigates and exposes abuses, educates and mobilizes the public, and helps create the change in the world that every day people want to see. Amnesty International USA is one of the largest sections in the movement, representing the interest of 500,000 members and activists working on issues of torture and accountability, economic rights, immigration reform, abolishing the death penalty and making women's rights a central component of human rights.
The organizing unit is a new unit in AIUSA working to connect individuals and communities all around the United States on the key social, political and economic issues facing communities with the global human rights movement. The events department is responsible for the organization and execution of Amnesty's biggest yearly events such as the Annual General Meeting. Interns will have an opportunity to work closely with the Director of Events to organize and implement all aspects of successful event planning and execution, including:
- Research and negotiate prices and build relationships with local vendors for products needed for the event.
- Researching and communicating with local media, such as magazines newspapers and radio stations, about event advertisement.
- Give feedback for the design of promotional items for the event such a T-shirts or posters.
- Preparing inspirational invitations for attendees from activists to speakers.
- Organizing and finalizing hotel and travel accommodations for speakers and staff.
- Attending important staff meetings and recording minutes.
Our internship provides an opportunity for interns to see first-hand the inner workings of a grassroots advocacy organization, as well as creatively participate in tasks and projects alongside staff members.
Interns should have a strong work ethic and thrive in a fast-paced environment. All interns should have strong oral and written communication, presentation, and problem solving skills. They must be well organized, be able to work independently, be able to multi task, and have a command of Microsoft Office, particularly Excel, and PowerPoint. Finally, interns should have a background or interest in service, issue advocacy, community organizing, politics and campaign planning and be excited to learn from opportunities and constructive feedback.
Applicants must include a cover letter, resume, and writing sample in one single document.
To apply, visit our careers website at https://careers.aiusa.org/