Client Styling InternshipBridge to Success
Case Management/Social Work Intern, Tallahasseeleon Homeless ShelterTallahasseeleon Homeless Shelter
Be REAL Students AmbassadorBe REAL Students
Communications and Event Planning Spring InternshipYouth Outreach Services
HOPE P5117 InternOperation HOPE, Inc.
ForKids, Inc. Internships- Summer 2014Bookmark This
4200 Colley Avenue
DescriptionSummer 2014 Internship Opportunities
ForKids, inc. is a dynamic, award-winning agency that has led the fight to end childhood homelessness for 25 years. We have helped over 1,400 families and 4,500 children work toward self-sufficiency and independence.
Our comprehensive housing programs include emergency shelter, transitional housing, permanent supportive housing for families with disabilities, and aftercare for families who exit our residential programs. We have a professional, dedicated staff that provides our client families with case management, family and child counseling, life skills education, housing placement, budgeting, and comprehensive children’s programming. We have been recognized for service excellence on the local, regional and national levels.
We envision a future where no child is homeless. Through our innovative programs and creative solutions, we are working to break the cycle of homelessness, foster strong families and help parents gain and maintain safe and stable homes.
Internships will begin in May/June and run through August. ForKids' internships are flexible, and can be structured to meet school requirements and the needs of each department.
All ForKids internships are unpaid.
Responsibilities• Call Center Intake (25 hours/week): After thorough training, Call Center Interns conduct telephone screenings, assessment, and resource referrals for clients seeking assistance through the regional Call Center. Interns manage shelter and transitional housing waiting lists, arrange emergency overnight shelter, and connect callers with appropriate resources, while documenting all contacts. This is an area of critical need.
• Case Management/Human Services (15-25 hours/week): Case Management Interns work with our case managers on a variety of case management responsibilities, including client intake, home visits, job search assistance, file documentation, research, and client transportation. Internships are also available for candidates specifically interested in working with homeless veterans and their families.
• Children’s Education Services (16-20 hours/week): Children’s Education Interns works with our Education Advocates and Children’s Services Assistants in support of ForKids’ educational programs. Interns will provide tutoring, transportation for after school programs, lesson plan development, activity planning, and research into community resources. These internships require evening hours.
• Emergency Shelter (20-40 hours/week): Interns at Haven House Emergency Shelter provide a variety of services in support of shelter operations, including client intake, case management assistance, documentation, job search assistance, and room turnover.
• Development Special Projects & Fundraising (10 hours/week): Development Interns assist with promoting and executing special events, communicating the ForKids mission to potential donors and activities that lead to solicitations. These internships will require occasional evening or weekend hours.
• Volunteer Management (15-20 hours/week): Volunteer Management Interns work with the Volunteer Coordinator to provide leadership, training and management of volunteer and volunteer projects, assist with monthly volunteer orientations, perform research, and attend volunteer fairs and community events to promote ForKids. These internships require some evening and weekend hours.
RequirementsRequirements: Must be able to work independently and follow directions. Selected intern must have a good understanding of confidentiality and a desire to work with a highly traumatized but diverse homeless population. Intern must be willing to learn and grow.
Suggested education: Human Services, Counseling, Psychology, Social Work, Community Relations.
To Apply: Submit resume and cover letter indicating which internships you are interested in, as well as your days and hour of availability. ForKids will contact candidates for interviews. Selected candidates will be required to undergo a Criminal Background Check and submit a DMV report. Please visit www.forkidsva.org for more information about ForKids.