Philadelphia Science Festival and Adult Events InternshipBookmark This
The Franklin Institute
222 North 20th Street
Posted: 518 days ago
DescriptionDepartment: Strategic Partnerships
The Department of Strategic Partnerships is responsible for the oversight of the monthly Science After Hours program and the Philadelphia Science Festival. Each month, Science After Hours provides an opportunity for the 21+ crowd to engage with science in a fun and hands-on way. The Philadelphia Science Festival (PSF), organized by The Franklin Institute, is a 9 day community-wide celebration of science that takes place annually in April. PSF features lectures, debates, hands-on activities, special exhibitions, and a variety of other informal science education experiences for Philadelphians of all ages.
Tasks: Festival & Adult Programs Intern
• Support outreach efforts to schools and community groups
• Creatively assist with the development of potential Science Festival programs through research projects
• Coordinate with and support program partners
• Support PR effort by assisting with promotional materials fulfillment
• Assist with development of materials for community based and adult-focused programs
• Support data collection of Science After Hours programs and Science Festival programs (spring only)
• Support the monthly Science After Hours program
• Support event logistics and serve as a PSF representative at festival events (Spring only) & Science After Hours (monthly)
• Summer interns will assist with the Festival evaluation process
• Other duties as assigned
Education Requirements: Students majoring in event planning, education, social work/community organizing, urban planning, public relations, communications, marketing, or the sciences preferred. All degree seeking candidates will be considered.
Special Skills Required: Familiarity with general science concepts a plus. Must be comfortable making cold calls to partnering organizations or returning general inquiries. Strong writing and communication skills required. Bilingual (Spanish and English) is a plus, but not necessary.
Schedule Requirements: Minimum of 15 hours per week required. Spring intern must be available all day on Saturday, April 30, 2016 for the Science Carnival and be willing to increase hours, including some evening work, during the Philadelphia Science Festival program week, April 22 – April 30, 2015.
Position Reports to: Program Developer and Community Programming Specialist
To apply for this position, please contact The Franklin Institute at 215-448-1163 or email@example.com to request an Internship Application.