Public Health & Development Intern @ National Health Nonprofit (UNPAID)---Available Year RoundBookmark This
657 Mission Street, Suite 603
San Francisco, CA
Description---------PROGRAM MANAGENT; NON-CLINICAL / NON-MEDICAL / NON-RESEARCH. Currently recruiting for Fall/Winter 2013 (Sept - Dec or beyond)---------
1) Do not reply here.
2) Send a CUSTOMIZED COVER LETTER and your resume to Victoria Bruno (vbruno @ arthritis.org). Put "Public Health & Development Intern / Internships.com" in subject field. Upon receipt, you'll be sent an internship application.
The Arthritis Foundation (AF) works to improve lives through leadership in the prevention, control, and cure of arthritis and related diseases.
To that end, the AF Public Health Intern supports the Chapter's community programs including Programs for Better Living (4 physical activity programs); Bone & Joint EXPO, public health education and outreach; and fundraising/development activities including 2 Arthritis Walks, 2 cycling tours, Jingle Bell Run/Walk, Fashion Show, etc.).
* Learn more about arthritis and Arthritis Foundation programs and services and other resources to improve the quality of life for people living with arthritis;
* Improve communication skills; and
* Gain REAL experience working at a non-profit organization (not just base-level administrative tasks, but meaningful projects that will allow you to obtain skills and experience that will really standout on your resume).
LENGTH OF COMMITMENT/SCHEDULE
Available throughout the year. At least one semester. 16-40 hours per week (combination of in-office work during standard office hours, Mon – Fri, 9am-5pm AND working from home). Occasional weekend hours may be needed to support Programs for Better Living Leader/Instructor training workshops but advance notice will be provided.
IMPORTANT NOTE: This is an UNPAID internship and we CAN NOT reimburse you for your relocation, room, board, local transportation, etc. No exceptions may be granted as it is not within our budget. What we can provide, however, is an excellent opportunity to work on substantive projects and a great reference. PLEASE DO NOT APPLY if this arrangement does not suit your needs. IF APPLYING FROM OUT OF THE SF BAY AREA, APPLY AFTER YOUR SF HOUSING HAS ALREADY BEEN SECURED.
ResponsibilitiesBONE & JOINT EXPO
* Assist with all aspects of event planning and logistics for a huge one-day educational and resource event (Saturday, October 19th).
PROGRAMS FOR BETTER LIVING RESPONSIBILITIES
(4 Physical Activity Programs--Arthritis Foundation Aquatic Program, Arthritis Foundation Tai Chi Program, Arthritis Foundation Exercise Program and Arthritis Foundation Walk With Ease Program)
* Recruit community sites to become official partner sites (OPS). Facility types include: churches, government agencies, community centers, medical and physical therapy facilities, businesses/companies, senior centers, private health clubs, schools and colleges, parks and recreation departments, senior housing, etc);
* Update Program Co-Sponsorship Agreements;
* Issue Instructor Certifications;
* Send out program materials to new instructors and OPS; and
* Assist with pre- and day of- event logistics for Leader/Instructor Training Workshops.
REMOVING BARRIERS TO ACCESS / INCREASING CULTURAL COMPETENCY
* Research local resources for assistance with translating and proofreading arthritis brochures and marketing flyers;
* Coordinate efforts of volunteer translators, proofreaders and graphic designers;
* Establish relationships with local ethnic health organizations to engage them to engage in arthritis outreach activities (presentations, health fairs, marketing, referrals, etc.); and
* Explore ways to engage traditionally under-served groups like those in the 20-50 age range with lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia, etc.
HEALTH FAIRS & ONLINE OUTREACH
* Represent AF at health fairs and volunteer/intern fairs;
* Explore alternative ways for Chapter to promote services online (websites, social networks, etc.); and
* Maintain AFNC's Facebook page and increase our social media presence.
EVENT / FUNDRAISING SUPPORT
* Assist with event management logistics for several upcoming fundraising events.
* Provide general administrative support (acknowledging donations, developing and maintaining donor filing systems & donor databases, etc.).
Requirements* Pleasant and professional phone demeanor and excellent customer service (true commitment to researching and providing answers to callers' inquiries);
* Excellent interpersonal / communication / writing and computer skills (MS Office) and ability to learn new programs quickly (databases, etc.)
* Solid research skills;
* Extremely strong detail orientation and organizational skills;
* Ability to juggle multiple tasks;
* Ability to operate standard office equipment (fax, photocopier, etc.)
* Bilingual a plus but not required.
* have a strong interest in and/or experience with arthritis, functional fitness, public health programs, marketing, communications;
* are committed to providing reliable, high-quality work;
* are highly organized, detail-oriented, accountable;
* able to multitask with efficiency and grace; and
* possess excellent phone and computer skills (word-processing, database and spreadsheet).