Public Policy InternBookmark This
National MS Society Gateway Area Chapter
1867 Lackland Hill Parkway
Saint Louis, MO
DescriptionThe intern will support the advocacy efforts of the chapter through monitoring proposed legislation (spring semester), organizing and communicating with grassroots volunteers, conducting issue research, and helping to distill complicated legislative issues into simple language for a variety of audiences.
Time Commitment and Stipend:
14 to 16 hours a week during the regular business hours of Monday through Friday from 8:30am to 5pm, with the exact days and times to be determined according to intern schedule. An education stipend is awarded to those who complete 100-600 hours per semester. (The average is $500/240 hours of service), this amount is applied directly toward tuition.
Responsibilities• Monitoring legislation proposed in the Missouri General Assembly and making note of bills that would impact people with MS (health care, long term care, disability rights). Following the progress of these bills and helping to execute an advocacy strategy around 4-8 bills (spring semester).
• Working with staff to strengthen the integrity and increase the engagement of the Chapter’s action alert (advocacy volunteer) list.
• Helping to plan, schedule and implement Legislative Action Day in Jefferson City for volunteers (spring semester).
• Assist with correspondence, statements of support, and other written materials,
• Assist in following up on federal advocacy issues as identified by Washington, DC office staff
RequirementsMust be at least 18
Must be enrolled with a university/college at the time of the internship
Must be available 14-16 hours/week between Mon-Fri 8:30am-5pm
• Students with Political Science, Social Work or other related major with strong writing, verbal communication, computer and follow up skills are strongly encouraged to apply
• Prefer graduate student or undergraduate with related work experience
• Able to stand for extended periods and tolerate the heat (at events only)
• Must have ability to perform various office duties, including typing, talking on the phone, as well as on location tasks, including taking photos at special events