Social Work InternBookmark This
Children's Home Society & Family Services
8555 16TH Street, Suite 600
Silver Spring, MD
Posted: 652 days ago
DescriptionThe International Adoption Social Work Intern will work in the Children's Home East Office. The intern will participate in all available social work activities related to adoption. The objective of this experience is to provide the student with opportunities to broaden their practical social work knowledge and skills, integrating theory and practice.
Three month minimum commitment required.
• Gain knowledge of Maryland and Virginia adoption processes and adoption-related laws.
• Observe group and individual assessment sessions and learn to facilitate both.
• Learn counseling techniques, evaluation skills, and ethics regarding social work assessment.
• Assist in upkeep of client files.
• Attend weekly meetings with the immediate supervisor to keep communication open and to ensure goals are met.
• Attend orientation meetings as scheduled.
• Comply with all policies and procedures of Children's Home.
• Formal application and in person interview.
• Start date immediately with a minimum of 24 hours per week
• Bachelor's of Social Work student, preferred Master's of Social Work Program student.
• Degree in social service related field.
• Understanding and sensitivity to clients of the agency.
• Willingness to devote time to learn about all members of the adoption triad in order to provide the best possible service.
• Ability to represent the agency in an appropriate manner.
• Understanding of adoption issues experienced by all members of the adoption triad.
• Understanding of the differences in adopting an infant from adopting a child over the age of one year.
• Excellent communication skills, both orally and written.
• Ability to work as a team member and to accept responsibility.
• Ability to act independently and seek consultation when needed.
• Understanding and acceptance of children and families from diverse cultural and economical backgrounds.
• Ability to remain non-judgmental and flexible.