Summer InternsCommon Cause
Office ManagerA Place For Me Mentoring Foundation
Marketing InternGirls Empowered Mentored and Supported
Mobilizations InternGlobal Catholic Climate Movement
Communications and Development InternGlobal Catholic Climate Movement
US Outreach InternGlobal Catholic Climate Movement
Operations, Outreach and Social Media InternshipAmman Imman: Water is Life
PODCAST/BLOG TALK RADIO INTERNWSU HIGH Program
Case Management InternshipBookmark This
Feeding San Diego
9455 Waples St, Ste 135
San Diego, CA
Posted: October 11 2016
Always be on the alert for potentially fraudulent job postings online - never send money to a potential employer.
DescriptionEstablished in 2007, Feeding San Diego (FSD) is the largest hunger-relief organization in the county, distributing 21 million meals within the last year, and the only Feeding America affiliate in the region. FSD works closely with more than 150 partner agencies, local school districts, corporate partners and a network of volunteers to serve 480,000 children, families and seniors annually. Devoted to feeding the hungry, advocacy and education, FSD is committed to building a hunger-free and healthy San Diego through innovative programs and collaborative partnerships.
Under the direction of the CalFresh Capacity Coordinator, the CalFresh Case Manager Intern will perform community outreach to low-income communities throughout San Diego County to promote CalFresh awareness. The CalFresh Case Manager Intern will provide assistance to clients applying for CalFresh benefits to improve food security for low-income households and individuals. The CalFresh Case Manager Intern will oversee 4-8 client cases each month and follow up with clients regarding completion of application, pending documents, interview appointments and case outcome. The Case Manager Intern will advocate on behalf of the client if any barriers arise. Duties and responsibilities are subject to change in order to meet the needs of the program, and allow for skills learning.
ResponsibilitiesESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Key responsibilities include:
• Become fully knowledgeable of the CalFresh Program regulations, eligibility requirements, and application process.
• Conduct direct service outreach to food-insecure families, individuals, seniors, disabled, and other diverse populations
• Assist eligible clients with the CalFresh application and ensure completion
• Submit complete applications to our out-stationed eligibility workers on behalf of clients
• Serve as liaison between client and county for follow-up and communication
• Maintain good relationships with our county out-stationed eligibility workers
• Advocate on behalf of clients if obstacles arise that prevent client from accessing benefits
• Update tracking systems in Microsoft Excel
• Attend countywide and regional CalFresh Task Force meetings
• Weekly meeting to discuss work with CalFresh Capacity Coordinator
RequirementsKNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Passion for hunger relief, social justice, and interest in public benefits assistance or social work
• Must have excellent customer service and communication skills, including both written and verbal, and the ability to establish rapport
• A strong sense of and respect for confidentiality involving both clients and employees.
• Ability to work in a variety of settings with culturally-diverse families and communities with the ability to be culturally sensitive and appropriate.
• A mature, professional demeanor with an aptitude for analytical thinking and problem solving
• Must be accurate and detail oriented, possess strong organizational and time management skills and the ability to juggle multiple priorities in a complex and fast paced environment.
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively
• Strong proficiency in Windows 2010, Excel, Microsoft Word
• Bilingual skills highly desired (Spanish, Tagalog, Vietnamese, Arabic, Mandarin, etc.)