Site DirectorBe The Change, Inc.
AdvocateBreak the Silence Against Domestic Violence
Communications InternJadens Voice
Marketing InternJadens Voice
Cause Marketing and Corporate Partnerships Intern - Spring 2017Make-A-Wish Illinois
Communications Intern - Spring 2017Make-A-Wish Illinois
Community Events Intern - Spring 2017Make-A-Wish Illinois
Community Walks Intern - Spring 2017Make-A-Wish Illinois
Development, Communications & Marketing Intern (UNPAID)Bookmark This
Alameda County Meals on Wheels
Posted: January 26 2015
Always be on the alert for potentially fraudulent job postings online - never send money to a potential employer.
DescriptionTO APPLY: DO NOT REPLY HERE. Send a customized cover letter (Alameda County Meals on Wheels must be in the letter; a generic letter isn't acceptable), resume and 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org. You'll be sent an internship application which needs to be submitted within 2 weeks of receipt for consideration.
Each day, 1 in 6 seniors--our parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles--goes hungry.
Alameda County Meals on Wheels (ACMOW) financially assists five County Meals on Wheels (MOW) providers which allows them to focus on what matters most--feeding local, homebound seniors. ACMOW raises money through two special events (Wheels for Meals Bike Ride and Taste, a gala and auction), grant writing, direct mail and newsletters. MOW programs truly depend on ACMOW; without our help, some agencies would have long waiting lists and others would actually have to close their doors.
Each delivery day, 2,200 low-income, homebound seniors in Alameda County receive not only delicious and nutritious meals, but also warm smiles, companionship and safety/wellness checks. MOW enables seniors to retain their independence and stay in their homes where they want to be. MOW gives our senior neighbors a helping hand and the care and compassion all human beings deserve. There are, however, many more seniors in need, so ACMOW dedicates its efforts to ensure that no Alameda County senior goes hungry. Only a small portion of the meal cost is government-subsidized; ACMOW must raise the rest.
We need your help with social media, our website, outreach, communications, research, and special event logistics. These will be substantive projects that will standout on your resume and build valuable skills you will use for the rest of your career.
It costs only $7 to feed a senior neighbor for the day. MOW is the most cost-effective solution to a growing national crisis.
More On Senior Hunger in Alameda County
• Locally, 2/3 of our clients are over 75 years old and 1/3 are over 85.
• More than 1/2 of our clients live alone, making isolation and depression a major problem. Many times MOW drivers are the only people our clients get to interact with all day long.
• 1/3 of our clients are recuperating from recent hospital stays.
• Most have some chronic condition that impacts their ability to do basic daily activities (like shopping, cooking, and cleaning, etc.) and limits their mobility.
• The vast majority of our clients live at or below the poverty line. Many subsist on less than $1,000 per month and are forced to choose between paying rent, lights, heat, essential medications or food.
• Malnourishment is a very common problem; more than 1/4 of all E.R. patients are seniors, many of whom are there due to nutrition-related ailments.
• For the cost of a one day hospital stay, MOW can nourish a senior for an entire year.
ResponsibilitiesWe’re an office staff of two. To expand our capacity to be as successful as we need to be, ACMOW needs intern/volunteer assistance in the following areas:
Social Media & Website
• Research, create and implement a plan to increase the reach of our social and visual media presence.
• Submit calendar of posts to ACMOW Project Coordinator for approval.
• Create and post relevant content: a) Research articles/content relevant to senior health, hunger, aging, etc.; b) Publicize our current events and campaigns; c) Convey important MOW program information; and d) Create interesting and fun campaigns (special focus of the day/week/month, contests, holiday celebrations, etc.).
• Create a “Meals on Wheels” video (interview seniors, MOW program staff and volunteers, etc.).
• Investigate and author (e)newsletter stories (ideas submitted by MOW programs or relevant topics).
• Design/create ACMOW and senior hunger-specific infographics.
• Write and submit press releases.
• Create best practices guides in: a) major gifts; b) planned/legacy giving; and c) corporate giving/outreach.
• Research local corporations and small businesses most likely to donate or give in-kind support to events.
(Taste of South East Asia, Sun., June 7th & Wheels for Meals Ride, Sat., Oct. 17th)
• Assist with all aspects of event logistics.
• Research new event sponsors and attendees.
• Secure sponsorships.
• Design publicity materials.
• Publicize events via online calendars and traditional modes (print and brick-and-mortar) to drive attendance.
• Wheels for Meals Ride Specific: a) Flyer/poster at local neighborhood businesses; b) Attend local community events to attract new riders (fairs, festivals, Farmers Markets, etc.); and c) Secure in-kind day-of-event exhibitors (grocery stores, bike shops, certified massage therapists, healthy living professionals, etc.).
• Enter and maintain data in ACMOW’s database, DonorSnap.
• Assist with large-scale mailings (stuffing, folding, stamping, etc.).
RequirementsACMOW seeks candidates with the following knowledge/skills:
• Common social media platforms and how to boost online presence;
• Strong verbal, written and interpersonal communications;
• Tenacious and effective in doing research;
• Ability to synthesize, analyze and translate complex ideas;
• Bilingual a plus, but not required;
• Public speaking (promoting ACMOW at events and giving educational presentations); and
• Familiarity with or quick ability to learn InDesign, Wix, DonorSnap and other software programs as needed.
We desire problem-solving self-starters with strong customer-service orientation who are extremely professional, accountable, detail-oriented, creative, reliable, punctual, friendly, and flexible. Outgoing, ambitious list-makers with strong drives to organize the world are strongly encouraged to apply!
TO APPLY: DO NOT REPLY HERE. Send a customized cover letter (Alameda County Meals on Wheels must be in the letter; generic letters are unacceptable), resume and 3 references to email@example.com. You'll be sent an internship application.
HOURS, LOCATION & OFFICE
College Interns must work between 12-40 hours a week for a full semester or beyond (most time will be at-home and only in-office about once a week). Volunteers are asked to commit to at least 4+ hours a week for 6 months.
We’re located in a very safe, pleasant, quiet office park with lots of free parking near Oakland airport. We’re a staff of two and have a very small office space. The vast majority of your time will not be in our office, but at home. There will, however, be times when you’ll need to be in the office (about once a week) or occasionally go out into the community for meetings, so please be flexible. Reliable private transportation would be best as public transportation is very limited.
This position is completely unpaid and we don’t have the budget to reimburse for travel expenses. What we do offer is a superb opportunity to learn about nonprofit management focusing on fundraising (special events, communications, public relations, marketing, project management, etc.) and friendly, professional, passionate and knowledgeable colleagues. We offer solid resume-building experiences while making a difference in the lives of our senior neighbors; you won’t be one of the masses doing fairly menial, basic work. As a part of our tiny but mighty team, you’ll have ownership of real, substantive projects. We’re going to depend on you to get the job done right and we’ll facilitate your success. References gladly provided to stellar interns/volunteers. Join us and be proud of/feel good about what you do!
NOTE FOR OUT-OF-STATE APPLICANTS
Please apply only after you’ve secured housing and are absolutely committed to coming here (this area has the highest cost of living in the country and housing is very expensive). Again, as mentioned above, we absolutely cannot reimburse for any expenses.
SkillsRequired - Social Media, Special Events Coordination, Corporate Fundraising, Fundraising, Grassroots Fundraising, Grassroots Marketing, Donor Solicitation, Brand Communication, B2C marketing
Preferred - Computer Graphics Design, Website Creation