Community Outreach AssociateImpact Branding Consulting, Inc
Paid Intern-Contracts and Grants (IFES)IFES
Teachers/Counselors at a Transformative SAT Summer CampYleana Leadership Academy
Recruitment Internship with Non-ProfitFund for the Public Interest
Work for Progress Recruitment InternshipWork for Progress
Recruitment Intern with PIRG Campus ActionWork for Progress
Recruitment Department InternWork for Progress
COMMUNICATIONS INTERNCrohn's & Colitis Foundation of America
Disaster Services Shelter Survey InternBookmark This
American Red Cross
509 Patterson St.
Posted: July 15 2016
Always be on the alert for potentially fraudulent job postings online - never send money to a potential employer.
DescriptionAn internship with disaster services gives you the unique opportunity to work with fantastic volunteers, community members and leaders. This opportunity will allow you to work in both an administrative capacity as well as field work. This team role is vital to the disaster services and the clients that we serve. This position requires excellent critical thinking skills and the ability to assess potential shelters.
Responsibilities• Update and maintain shelter survey database for disaster services. This will include making phone calls to current shelter locations and as well as creating new shelter contracts.
• Following guidelines for surveying a shelter to ensure that it will be capable of sheltering occupants during the time of a disaster.
• Learn and share the Red Cross story, including the mission, vision, and values with possible shelter site supervisors.
• Create a favorable impression of the Red Cross, and the shelter survey process, that will encourage continued support from community partners.
• Be available and committed to the volunteer schedule you set.
• Model excellent customer service behaviors when in the community.
• Punctual and dependable in arriving for daily work and while in the community.
• Provide support for special events and projects as well as other duties as assigned
Requirements15-20 hours a week between the hours of 8 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday through Friday will be a typical week. However, this internship may require additional times at night or during the weekend to accommodate potential shelter survey appointments.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point) and basic internet skills required.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills are a must.
• Comfort with calling, scheduling and executing shelter surveys with independence.
• Ability to work quickly and independently and to take initiative within established parameters.
• Ability to work with paid and volunteer staff in a busy, non-profit service delivery setting.
• Ability to multi-task.
• Good interpersonal skills, including initiative and ability to work well independently, while collaborating with the team.
• Hold a valid driver’s license and have reliable transportation.
• Pass a national background check.
• Previous administrative experience preferred, but not required.
• Previous volunteer experience preferred, but not required.
• Highly motivated student in Human Resources, Public Health, Healthcare Administration, Non-profit management, Public Administration or related field
• 3.5 Overall GPA
• Junior or Senior Undergraduate or Graduate Students preferred
SkillsRequired - Microsoft Office Applications, Written & Verbal Communication Abilities, Ability to work under pressure, Heavy Lifting
Preferred - Emergency Management, Logistics, Public Health Emergency Preparedness