American Heart Association Heart Walk InternshipAmerican Heart Association
Voice for the Animals InternshipVoice for the Animals Foundation
JDRF Kids Walk InternJDRF
Wish Fulfillment InternshipBrittany Polson
Help Raise Funds for YOUR Favorite CauseAYI Procurement & Trade LLC
Student Interns Needed for Fundraising ExperimentAYI Procurement & Trade LLC
Intern, Home Fire Preparedness/Project PrepareAmerican Red Cross of Central Ohio
Intern, Education/Training SpecialistAmerican Red Cross of Central Ohio
Editorial / Content Developer Intern for Android App Development ProjectBookmark This
Posted: April 20 2015
Company Location: New York, NY
Application Deadline: Available Year-round
Position: 3 Full-time, Unpaid
Always be on the alert for potentially fraudulent job postings online - never send money to a potential employer.
DescriptionAce Africa is a leading community development organization established in 2003. Today, Ace Africa has registered charitable status in Kenya and Tanzania, as well as the UK and US, employs 56 local Africans in Africa, works with over 4,000 community volunteers and has already supported over 765,000 children and their families, shifting them out of poverty and hunger into food and economic security, self-sufficiency and a better, healthier life.
Recognizing the opportunities provided by the rapid adoption of low-cost smartphones and tablets in Africa, Ace Africa is currently in the process of developing Android-based apps across all its program areas (1. Community Livelihoods, 2. Community Health and Wellbeing and 3. Child Development) with the aim to increase the efficiency, depth and reach of our community development programs. As part of this, Ace Africa seeks to engage interns that can assist in the development of content for the Android apps, utilizing existing Ace Africa materials, as well as through conducting internet research.
More About Ace Africa
Ace has adopted a long-term (10-15) year approach towards community development, investing the time and resources to enable a community to become self-sufficient. Ace's three core programming areas focus on i) Community Livelihoods, ii) Community Health and Wellbeing and iii) Child Development. Ace Africa works collaboratively with the community, government and local partners to provide targeted, relevant and appropriate skills, training and services in the specific context of each community where we work, avoiding duplication and ensuring effective use of all resources. Ace Africa has now evolved into one of the most highly regarded community development organizations in Western Kenya and Northern Tanzania, having received several awards in the international development sector.
Responsibilities- Assist with content development for tablet and smartphone apps in the areas of 1. Community Livelihoods, 2. Community Health and Wellbeing and 3. Child Development.
- Conduct research on best practices and relevant information for inclusion in the apps.
- Write effectively, excelling in contextual assessment, correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar.
Requirements- Working towards a Bachelor’s degree in international studies, development, journalism, public relations, marketing, English, education, business communications, communication arts, social work, sociology, psychology or other relevant area
- Strong writing skills, excelling in contextual assessment, spelling, punctuation, and grammar
- Strong organizational and communication skills with keen attention to detail and problem solving skills
- An innovative self-starter with creativity and a strong work ethic
- Knowledge of MS Office applications, especially Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Interest in app development, international non-profits, community development and poverty reduction
- Graphic design skills a plus, but not required
- Programming/coding skills not required - The position is for development of app content, not app programming
- Some skills in Kiswahili/Swahili language a plus, but also not required