Digital Marketing InternHemp Educate America
Jewish Urban Farming FellowshipUrban Adamah
Scranton Fringe Festival Arts Administration InternshipScranton Fringe
Arab American Institute--Summer 2017 Internship ProgramArab American Institute
Business Development / Sales InternPSC
Teachers/Counselors at a Transformative SAT Summer CampYleana Leadership Academy
IT/Computer Systems InternITT Technical Institute-Houston West
Office InternByrd Outreach & Training Center
English Literacy/Civics Education InternBookmark This
International Rescue Committee
2305 Parklake Drive, Suite 100
Posted: March 05 2015
Application Deadline: Available Year-round
Position: Part-time, Unpaid
Always be on the alert for potentially fraudulent job postings online - never send money to a potential employer.
DescriptionBACKGROUND: The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. At work in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities to restore safety, dignity and hope, the IRC leads the way from harm to home. The IRC in Atlanta office was established in 1979 and has resettled over 21,000 refugees from nearly 50 countries into the Greater Atlanta area. As the largest refugee resettlement agency in Georgia, the IRC in Atlanta resettles an average of 800 refugees into Georgia annually and provides additional services and assistance to another 1,500 refugees and asylees.
SCOPE OF ENGLISH LITERACY/CIVICS EDUCATION INTERN WORK: The EL/Civics Education Intern assists refugee clients in gaining the English, literacy, and civics skills required to pass the U.S. Citizenship exam. Curriculum is focused on developing vocabulary and communication skills for dealing with real world situations such as employment, transportation, and housing. In addition, supplementary materials help develop the vocabulary and communication skills needed for the citizenship exam.
Responsibilities• Assist instructor and program director in daily classroom activities including one-on-one tutoring, leading small groups, and teaching specific components of the curriculum.
• Assist program director in developing and implementing multi-level comprehension and literacy activities.
• Assist program director with new student registration and orientation.
• Support and assist with general program improvements, specifically in the gap between education best practices and the day-to-day classroom operations.
• Assist with record-keeping, data entry, and file maintenance to support program administration.
Requirements• Excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
• Strong interest in working with international clients in a cross-cultural environment.
• International experience and previous teaching experience a plus.
• Ability to take initiative and be able to work independently, be flexible and creative.
• Enthusiasm for helping people learn.
• EL/Civics classes are held Monday through Thursday, between 12:00 and 2:00 pm at the IRC office, and Monday, Wednesday, and Friday between 6:00 and 8:30 pm at Memorial Drive Presbyterian Curch, with lesson planning and administrative work before and afterwards. Interns must be able to commit to at least 15 hours per week.
For more information or to apply, please contact Hayat Nawd, Volunteer and External Relations Coordinator, at VolunteerATL@Rescue.org or 678-636-8928. To learn more about us, please visit the IRC website at www.Rescue.org/Atlanta
(US applicants only)