Community Outreach AssociateImpact Branding Consulting, Inc
Paid Intern-Contracts and Grants (IFES)IFES
Teachers/Counselors at a Transformative SAT Summer CampYleana Leadership Academy
Recruitment Internship with Non-ProfitFund for the Public Interest
Work for Progress Recruitment InternshipWork for Progress
Recruitment Intern with PIRG Campus ActionWork for Progress
Recruitment Department InternWork for Progress
COMMUNICATIONS INTERNCrohn's & Colitis Foundation of America
Great Expectations InternshipBookmark This
501 College Drive
Posted: March 31 2015
Always be on the alert for potentially fraudulent job postings online - never send money to a potential employer.
DescriptionGreat Expectations was started in 2008 to address the low rates of foster youth accessing and completing higher education and or training certificate programs post high school. In fact nationally, foster youth alum has one of the lowest rates of graduation from a college or university institution, averaging at about 2% compared to 28% or higher amongst the general population.
The need for this project is particularly pressing at this time for Virginia. Virginia has the highest percentage of teens aging out of the foster care system without a permanent home – last of all the states in the U.S. The numbers are significant – over 500 annually. Current research shows that despite their survival skills, the typical youth who age out of the foster care system have no social or family support and are unsuccessful at employment and educational pursuits. This program is designed to change the success rates of these individuals.
The current statistics demonstrate the depth and breadth of the problem:
• As of Jan. 2010, Virginia had approximately 6,000 children in foster care. Of these, 53% are teenagers.
• Nationally, of those who have recently aged out of the system, over 25% will be incarcerated in the first 2 years after leaving the system.
• Over 54 percent will be homeless or unstably housed.
• Only 20 percent of those 19 or older will take advantage of the educational programs available to them.
• Only 58 percent will earn a high school degree by age 19, compared with 87 percent
• Less than 2 percent will earn a college degree, compared with 28 percent of the general population.
Now couldn’t be a better time to Intern here at PVCC Great Expectations, as we are still a fairly new program here, have flexibility in building the program from the ground up, and, there is unlimited capacity for growth, not only within PVCC, but within our service area of Region Ten encompassing: Orange, Green, Albemarle, Fluvanna, Nelson, Louisa and part of Buckingham counties.
This Internship opportunity offers experience and exposure in all three major areas of social work, micro, mezzo and macro. Depending on the Interns specific interests, skill set and talents; the internship can be designed to insure the intern is getting the experience in the area(s) he/she has interests in, while also, assisting the program in meeting priority tasks set out for the internship.
ResponsibilitiesDirect Student Support:
• Work with Great Expectation Coach to maintain communication with students and instructors.
• Complete assessments on new incoming students, or potential participants in the program to assess where they are at educationally, emotionally and overall physical stability.
• Identify what barriers exist for GE participants to access an education or training program.
• Refer GE participants to community resources, such as; foodbank, Housing Authority, mental health care, workforce training program, tutoring/academic coaching servicing etc.
• Complete individual educational plans, and follow up on students weekly who are at risk of losing financial aid due to low grades.
• Complete outreach communications to prospective students (based on SIS query results) and past students that have not returned to school from the previous semesters.
• Advise students on academic programs and career choices based on the Virginia Wizard career assessment.
Mezzo Social Work
Outreach, Program Development, Collaboration & Group Facilitation:
• Organize and facilitate monthly social and educational sessions with GE participants as a group.
• Seek out and organize statewide college tours for GE group participants.
• Schedule and organize speakers for GE social events.
• Design and complete outreach presentations to potential community stakeholders.
• Assist in program development and design.
• Assist in the design, facilitation and input of participant surveys.
• Collect, analyze and present data on PVCC GE participants.
• Community Outreach: Promoting awareness of both the program and the plight of foster youth in our community in general; assistance is specifically needed to garner support from local community members and businesses in the form of donations for goods to be utilized as rewards and incentives for program participants, as well as support in coordinating community involvement for our annual community foster care expo and May foster care awareness month events.
Macro Social Work
Policy, program procedures and protocol development:
• Assist in developing and critiquing program procedures and protocols to upload onto the Sharedrive.
• Assist in development of program strategic planning and design.
• Assist in development of three year budget plan for the program.
• Assist in research of national models that compare to the GE PVCC program, analyze and provide summary of each program and how PVCC can learn from these other programs.
As an Intern at Piedmont Virginia Great Expectations, you will have a unique experience to positively impact the lives of individuals that have some of the worst social outcomes out of any population group in the US. Become a part of this program and change the odds for so many that deserve it.
RequirementsMust have experience either in employment or in coursework related to: counseling, social work, public relations, human resources etc. Must have an interest in working with disadvantaged youth and providing them with the resources, guidance and tools they need to succeed.
SkillsRequired - School Social Work, Career Counseling, Community Outreach
Preferred - Adult Education, Career Education, Advanced Excel, Affiliate Marketing, Non-profit Program Development, Fundraising, Grant Preparation, Crisis Counseling, Categorical Data Analysis