- Internships /
- Non-profit /
- Intern, Business Continuity Initiative, Global Disaster Preparedness Center
Executive Administrative AssistantHEROES
Marketing Internship Fall 2017HEROES
Public Relations Internship Fall 2017HEROES
Administrative AssistantThe Alive Inside Foundation
Social Media & Community Management InternThe Alive Inside Foundation
Public Policy & Advocacy Intern Fall 2017HEROES
Office ManagerA Place For Me Mentoring Foundation
Social Media InternshipHEROES
Intern, Business Continuity Initiative, Global Disaster Preparedness CenterBookmark This
American Red Cross
NHQ 2025 E Street NW
Posted: February 08 2016
Always be on the alert for potentially fraudulent job postings online - never send money to a potential employer.
DescriptionThe American Red Cross shelters, feeds and provides emotional support to victims of disasters; supplies about 40 percent of the nation's blood; teaches skills that save lives; provides international humanitarian aid; and supports military members and their families. The Red Cross is a not-for-profit organization that depends on volunteers and the generosity of the American public to perform its mission.
The American Red Cross offers exceptional undergraduate and graduate students internship opportunities at our Red Cross national headquarters in Washington, D.C. and in chapters across the country through our Internship Program. Interns are matched with a specific department where they work on advancing critical projects.
The Intern, Business Continuity Initiative, Global Disaster Preparedness Center is a paid internship where candidates must be enrolled in a degree program at the time of the internship. The opportunity is based in Washington, D.C.
• Graduate student enrolled in a business continuity, emergency management, or disaster preparedness degree program and/or a demonstrated interest in disaster management, international relations, or humanitarian work.
• Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft PowerPoint proficiency required; Microsoft Publisher/Adobe Photoshop proficiency preferred.
• Strong analytical and research skills required.
• Have knowledge base of business continuity practices and development
• Have strong research skills, and be very detailed oriented
• Demonstrated experience with database management
• Be responsible and highly organized
• Able to work independently, multi-task and work under deadline pressure
• Have strong communication and interpersonal skills
• Experience in different market and cultures (preferred)
The American Red Cross International Services Department (ISD) seeks to fill a paid intern position to support the Business Continuity Initiative of the Global Disaster Preparedness Center (GDPC). The GDPC is a globally focused reference center aimed at strengthening the disaster preparedness capacities of the global Red Cross and Red Crescent network in order to safeguard communities from future disasters.
The GDPC looks to offer a scalable and adaptable suite of business continuity tools and services, developed in partnership with committed stakeholders and subject matter experts, for use globally by Red Cross and Red Crescent (RC/RC) National Societies (NS). The primary aim is to build the disaster resilience of small and medium-sized enterprises. The secondary aim is to better position NS among business communities to facilitate multi-faceted investments toward safer communities.
Candidates will be considered for the Summer 2016 semester - June - August
• Up to 40 hours/week
Direct Apply Link: https://www.americanredcross.apply2jobs.com/ProfExt/index.cfm?fuseaction=mExternal.showJob&RID=62831
ResponsibilitiesIn support of this initiative, the intern will work under the Senior Advisor for Programs and Partnerships and as part of a small team where he/she will have the unique opportunity to gain hands-on experience in developing a new disaster preparedness and business continuity initiative internationally. The intern will also have the opportunity to enhance skills in disaster preparedness, knowledge management, information and data analysis, and stakeholder outreach. A demonstrated interest in developing community resilience and basic knowledge of disaster preparedness and/or business continuity programming is essential. Our interns work as integrated members of the entire GDPC and International Services Department to carry out professional level work in a supervised atmosphere.
The intern may contribute to or be responsible for:
• Contributing to the overall administration of the Business Continuity Initiative, including reviewing materials developed by consultant teams (assessments, trainings, use cases)
• Conduct research to assist in building out and solidifying the business model and outreach materials for the BCI
• Participating in working group meetings, to assist in knowledge management
• Preparing presentation and outreach materials, including visual tools
While the focus of the internship will be on the Business Continuity Initiative, there will also be opportunities to work on other initiatives of the GDPC. The intern will support the GDPC’s work in the following general ways:
• Contributing to the GDPC website, PrepareCenter.org
• Supporting the development of information products like reports and presentations
• Undertaking other work-related activities as needed including some administrative tasks
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.