PAID Internship Summer 2017 - Event Fundraising for Child Sponsorship Organization!Charity Advertising & Marketing Partners
Social Impact Assessment (SIA) FellowshipMercado Global
CORRAL Riding Academy Programming InternCORRAL Riding Academy
CORRAL Riding Academy Equine InternCORRAL Riding Academy
CORRAL Riding Academy Communications InternCORRAL Riding Academy
2017 Programs/Development InternBest Buddies North Carolina
Summer 2017 Internship with ORT America - Northeast Major GiftsORT America
Intern, Community RelationsBookmark This
American Red Cross
New York City Offices
New York, NY
Posted: March 24 2016
Application Deadline: Available Year-round
Position: Part-time, Unpaid
Always be on the alert for potentially fraudulent job postings online - never send money to a potential employer.
DescriptionThe American Red Cross shelters, feeds and provides emotional support to victims of disasters; supplies about 40 percent of the nation's blood; teaches skills that save lives; provides international humanitarian aid; and supports military members and their families. The Red Cross is a not-for-profit organization that depends on volunteers and the generosity of the American public to perform its mission.
The American Red Cross offers exceptional undergraduate and graduate students internship opportunities at our Red Cross national headquarters in Washington, D.C. and in chapters across the country through our Internship Program. Interns are matched with a specific department where they work on advancing critical projects.
The Intern, Community Relations is an Unpaid Internship where candidates must be enrolled in a degree program at the time of the internship. This internship is located in New York, NY.
The Community Relations Department: 1) increases awareness of Red Cross programs, activities and services throughout the Greater New York Region; 2) assists in direct outreach to promote programs and services administered by the Red Cross including response operations, preparedness programs, blood drives and volunteer recruitment; 3) represents the Red Cross at community events where the organization is invited to share information and materials with the public, such as health fairs, street fairs and employee engagement days; and 4) is the point of contact for all outreach to elected officials throughout New York city, Long Island and the Lower Hudson Valley.
ResponsibilitiesThe Intern, Community Relations will be responsible for:
- Assisting in outreach activities to federal, state and local elected officials including attendance at meetings, phone calls, scheduling meetings and drafting outreach materials.
- Tracking disaster responses and inform elected officials and community leaders of disaster responses in their districts.
- Accompanying members of the Community Relations Department to meetings with elected officials and community leaders as well as deploy to disaster responses if necessary with the Regional Senior Director.
- Assisting the Community Relations Department, as needed, in the cultivation of relationships with stakeholders that result in greater community presence and increased appreciation for the Red Cross mission. This includes civic associations, faith-based organizations, elected officials and community leaders.
- Complete training in the Pillowcase Project which teaches children (ages 8-10). Upon completion assist in scheduling presentations, assisting trainers and provide a minimum of 3 presentations over the course of the internship.
- Complete training in the Citizens Preparedness Corps. training which teaches adults (ages 18 and older) emergency preparedness. Upon completion assist in scheduling presentations, assisting trainers and provide a minimum of 2 presentations over the course of the internship.
- Act as a spokesperson when necessary to meet with external audiences to promote programs and services offered by the Red Cross.
- Provide support for community outreach activities and special events developed by the Community Relations Department as needed.
Candidates will be considered for the summer 2016 semester.
• 15 hours/week
To apply for this position, please apply online at
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- Enrolled undergraduate student and above
- Valid driver's license and clean motor vehicle record
- Proficient with Microsoft Office programs and internet research
- Comfortable public speaking
- Willingness to travel throughout the five boroughs of New York City, Lower Hudson Valley and Long Island