Fine Arts / Gallery InternHouston Ballet Ben Stevenson Academy
Marketing and Social Media InternFriends of Fort Point Channel
Graphic Design InternRockhaven Group, LLC
Unpaid Intern - Latin AmericaIFES
Paid Intern - Human ResourcesIFES
Sumer AssociateDemocracy Works
Grant Writing/Development InternGateway Counseling Center, Inc.
Events & Development InternshipAdaptive Sports Center of Crested Butte
Intern, Disaster Services ResponderBookmark This
American Red Cross
HUM NY Long Island Chapter - NY616
New York, NY
Posted: February 02 2016
Application Deadline: Available Year-round
Position: Part-time, Unpaid
Always be on the alert for potentially fraudulent job postings online - never send money to a potential employer.
DescriptionThe American Red Cross shelters, feeds and provides emotional support to victims of disasters; supplies about 40 percent of the nation's blood; teaches skills that save lives; provides international humanitarian aid; and supports military members and their families. The Red Cross is a not-for-profit organization that depends on volunteers and the generosity of the American public to perform its mission.
The American Red Cross offers exceptional undergraduate and graduate students internship opportunities at our Red Cross national headquarters in Washington, D.C. and in chapters across the country through our Internship Program. Interns are matched with a specific department where they work on advancing critical projects.
Over 200 times per year, hundreds of Long Islanders are affected by fires, floods and other natural disasters. The American Red Cross is committed to providing humanitarian relief for these victims. Our Disaster Services Responders deploy to scenes of these disasters and provide direct client services. These services may include food, shelter, clothing and other support to help families begin their recovery.
The Intern, Disaster Services Responder is an Unpaid Internship where candidates must be enrolled in a degree program at the time of the internship. The opportunity is based in New York, NY.
• Undergraduate Sophomore student and above enrolled in a degree program preferably in Emergency Management, Social Work, Allied Health, Public Health
• Self-starter and highly motivated
• Highly compassionate
• Able to work in outdoor environments during periods of inclement weather, heat/cold, and with numerous outside agencies
• Able to lift/carry up to 50 pounds
• Computer/internet savvy
• Able to work after hours and weekends
• Excellent interpersonal communication skills
• Use our online learning site to become familiar with the mission and objectives of the ARC
• Become oriented to the scope of services by the management team
• Gain on-the-job training by responding to incidents with existing Response Teams
• Mentor with veteran volunteer responders
• Work with clients on a real-time basis to develop expertise in service delivery
• Become an ARC Caseworker: This process will enable the Disaster Responder to utilize the ARC program to enter client casework into a computer and allow them to provide assistance
• Provide Direct Services: Respond directly to the incident scene, meet and interview clients and provide food, shelter and clothing as necessary.
• Follow up with clients after their needs have been met, and endure that they have the appropriate referral information, and have had an excellent experience with ARC
Candidates will be considered for the winter/spring 2016 semester.
• 20-25 hours/week
To apply for this position, please apply online at