Junior Tennis Outreach Program CoordinatorRaleigh Tennis Association
Grant WriterBeloved Streets of America
Social Media InternsT.H.A.N.K.S. - The Helping A Needy Kid Society
Fundraising SpecialistBeloved Streets of America
Healthcare InternWinning the Battles In Your Mind Inc
Public Relations InternWinning the Battles In Your Mind Inc
Marketing InternWinning the Battles In Your Mind Inc
Office Business AssociateA Place For Me Mentoring Foundation
Intern, Geographic Information Systems (GIS)Bookmark This
American Red Cross
NHQ 2025 E Street NW
Posted: February 08 2016
Application Deadline: Available Year-round
Position: Full-time, Paid
Always be on the alert for potentially fraudulent job postings online - never send money to a potential employer.
DescriptionThe American Red Cross shelters, feeds and provides emotional support to victims of disasters; supplies about 40 percent of the nation's blood; teaches skills that save lives; provides international humanitarian aid; and supports military members and their families. The Red Cross is a not-for-profit organization that depends on volunteers and the generosity of the American public to perform its mission.
The American Red Cross offers exceptional undergraduate and graduate students internship opportunities at our Red Cross national headquarters in Washington, D.C. and in chapters across the country through our Internship Program. Interns are matched with a specific department where they work on advancing critical projects.
The Intern, Geographic Information Systems (GIS) I is a Paid Internship where candidates must be enrolled in a degree program at the time of the internship. The opportunity is based in Washington, DC.
• Current undergraduate student freshman or above working toward Master of Science or certificate degree, geography, GIS or related field
• Comfort using Adobe Illustrator and/or InDesign
• Experience using GIS software to produce maps and/or perform spatial analysis
• Experience using and contributing to OpenStreetMap
• Experience using command line tools or scripts (e.g. GDAL, Python) to process data a plus
• Ability to harmonize an independent work style with larger team priorities
• Review, streamline and organize geographic data submitted from American Red Cross field projects around the world.
• Analyze geospatial data to enhance and inform programmatic decisions
• Conduct research to locate and obtain existing GIS data on humanitarian needs, including vulnerabilities related to climate change and disaster hazards.
• Undertake long-term research projects to develop stronger GIS tools and resources within the International Services Department.
• Support the info and reporting team with communications tasks as necessary.
Candidates will be considered for the summer 2016 semester (June through August)
• 40 hours/week
To apply for this position, please apply online at
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.