Fine Arts / Gallery InternHouston Ballet Ben Stevenson Academy
Marketing and Social Media InternFriends of Fort Point Channel
Graphic Design InternRockhaven Group, LLC
Unpaid Intern - Latin AmericaIFES
Paid Intern - Human ResourcesIFES
Sumer AssociateDemocracy Works
Grant Writing/Development InternGateway Counseling Center, Inc.
Events & Development InternshipAdaptive Sports Center of Crested Butte
One Penn Plaza, 6th Floor
New York, NY
Posted: July 21 2016
Application Deadline: Available Year-round
Position: Part-time, Unpaid
Always be on the alert for potentially fraudulent job postings online - never send money to a potential employer.
DescriptionYou are invited to join us for an amazing internship experience that will change many lives, including your own. We have shared hands-on Soaringwords programs with more than 250,000 children and families and 135,000 volunteers in 30 states and 12 countries.
You have the opportunity to be part of a successful and vibrant not-for-profit organization devoted to helping millions of ill children and families heal. Visit our website www.soaringwords.org to learn more about us. If you have passion, creativity, energy, excellent follow-through and the desire to make valuable contributions to a small and talented team during your internship, then we want you to be a part of our success. Infographic: bit.ly/1QmdXVh
We are now accepting 2016 interns for Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter. We have many college students and graduate students who receive credit for their internships. We also are accepting Year-long GAP year interns who want to get valuable life skills prior to pursuing medical school, post-doctorate studies, and many grown-up making career changes or just jumping into work after a long hiatus. Please note on your application when you want to start.
Soaringwords mission is to lessen the negative impact of serious illness by embracing hospitalized children, families and staff, encouraging positive health and healing. Soaringwords provides fun, creative and educational activities both in person and online based on positive psychology concepts that enhance well-being. Soaringwords is unique because it is the only organization that motivates ill children and their families to “pay it forward” based on scientifically measured healing tools that form a SOARING construct. This unique SOARING model consists of the following healing tools that anyone can learn to use to take active roles in healing. Somatic activities: taking physical action and feeling emotional engagement. Measurable Outcomes enhance Optimism. Agency and Altruism: a sense of control in choosing to engage in an altruistic activity for another person. Resilience and Reciprocity: strengthens patients’ coping capacity for present and future challenges. Reciprocity is feeling deeply connected to others in personal, emotional ways. Resilience the capacity to prevail in the face of difficulty is measured in heightened well-being. Healing Imagery work deepens Intrinsic Motivation to heal. The healing power of Narrative medicine: how storytelling, writing and reading promote healing. Gratitude is a spiritual practice that fosters a Growth Mindset that leads to positive cascading health benefits.
Sample Soaringwords Videos:
Incorporating Positivity and Love into each Day with Dr. Barbara Fredrickson: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeIvfEPiA5g
The Value of High Quality Connections with Dr. Jane Dutton: http://www.soaringwords.org/jane-dutton-and-high-quality-connections
ResponsibilitiesSkills-based contributions include the following priority areas:
• Social media support – posting and commenting on Soaringwords content on blogs, FB, Instagram, Twitter and other social media outlets. Market intelligence/analysis on other not-for-profit social media presence/content. Being part of the team that strategizes about Soaringwords social media brand.
• Supporting the Soaringwords + Zumba Fitness = Love for Hospitalized Children initiative. Database management, data entry and follow up with the hundreds of Zumba instructors who are volunteering each month.
• Research for Positive psychology content for Soaringwords’ workshops that will be shared with pediatric patients, their families, and healthcare professionals (nursing students and nurses; medical school students, residents, physicians) and hospital staff.
• Working on grants: research and writing and editing. Helping secure donations from leading companies, foundations, individuals and government grants.
• Working with leading companies for funding from employee-engagement programs and funding from corporate foundations: research and sending out requests for meetings.
• Working with Lisa on her book: helping to secure cover quotations from prominent authors, social media/crowd sourcing campaign to pre-sell books. Soaringwords Book Club: creating videos with leading authors to promote books on resilience, courage and positive topics to a Soaringwords audience.
• Working with Soaringwords team to secure more hospital partners. Research and follow up with hospital executives to secure meetings for funding/collaboration.
• Special events. Work with Soaringwords team to do viral and in-person friend-raising/fund-raising events.
• Mentor Inner-city Children at Soaringwords Programs. Help lead fun in-school, after-
school, camp, and hospital sessions that boost self-esteem as these children learn the power of “paying it forward” and giving to others using poetry, fables, artwork, super heroes, and other fun and creative projects.
• SoaringBridges to Israel & other international countries. Get wonderful hands-on experience in managing community-service initiatives with synagogues, schools, camps and international programs.
You will learn about working in a professional office making contributions to the Soaringwords Team. You will work directly with the Soaringwords team to support the daily projects. No two days are the same, you’ll never be bored! Utilize the skills you have and learn new skills that will make a difference to Soaringwords and all the children, families and volunteers we serve.