Community Outreach AssociateImpact Branding Consulting, Inc
Paid Intern-Contracts and Grants (IFES)IFES
Teachers/Counselors at a Transformative SAT Summer CampYleana Leadership Academy
Recruitment Internship with Non-ProfitFund for the Public Interest
Work for Progress Recruitment InternshipWork for Progress
Recruitment Intern with PIRG Campus ActionWork for Progress
Recruitment Department InternWork for Progress
COMMUNICATIONS INTERNCrohn's & Colitis Foundation of America
Tutoring Program InternBookmark This
Bridges to Independence
3103 9th Rd. N.
Posted: October 16 2015
Always be on the alert for potentially fraudulent job postings online - never send money to a potential employer.
DescriptionBridges to Independence (b2i) is Northern Virginia’s leading provider of services for homeless women/families and those at risk. We offer a continuum of aid and support for all family members, helping them attain stability and move forward into self-sufficiency. Prevention is our other priority – reaching out to at-risk families and helping them avoid homelessness in the first place.
A private, nonprofit organization, b2i has been working with and for homeless families since 1985, when we were founded as the Arlington-Alexandria Coalition for the Homeless. We became Bridges to Independence in 2015 because we needed a name that better reflects how our mission and service spectrum have evolved and expanded over the years.
The Tutoring Program Intern will assist with coordinating the b2i Tutoring Program, under the direction of the Volunteer Coordinator.
The intern will:
• Gain professional experience managing a team of volunteers.
• Gain hands-on experience working with homeless and at-risk families and youth.
• Learn to use the Outcome Tracker database, a cloud-based VistaShare client management system.
• Become familiar with Pre-employ.com’s background check system.
• Have the opportunity to conceptualize and organize volunteer appreciation events.
• Learn about the management and operations of a human services nonprofit.
Hours: 10 hours a week, must include some evenings Mon-Wed, 6-8 pm.
Compensation: Unpaid/Volunteer Internship
ResponsibilitiesSpecific responsibilities will include:
• Interviewing clients to determine their tutoring needs.
• Matching b2i clients (youth and adults) with volunteer tutors.
• Ensuring that all volunteer tutors have updated background checks.
• Tracking client and tutor attendance at tutoring sessions.
• Assisting with periodic volunteer appreciation events.
• Serving as one of the b2i liaisons with a corporate partner providing tutors.
Requirements• Completed or working toward a college degree, preferably in a related field (e.g., Education, Non-Profit Management, Volunteer Management, Program Management)
• Related experience either as a volunteer or managing volunteers is a plus.
• Computer literacy/working knowledge of MS Office.
• Enthusiasm about the mission of Bridges to Independence and the families we serve.
• Effective written and oral communication skills.