Grant WriterBeloved Streets of America
Winter Mobile Market InternRegional Environmental Council, Inc.
Summer Arts and Learning Academy Planning InternYoung Audiences of Maryland
Nonprofit Administrative Support AssistantCenter for Volunteer and Nonprofit Leadership
Graphic Design & Visual Communications InternshipThe G4 Alliance
Grant Writer Internship for Musée MagazineMusee Magazine
Youth Helpline Phone Counselor2NDFLOOR Youth Helpline
Contigency Based Grant Development specialist InternAmerican Justice Reentry And Rehabilitation AJRR
Tutoring Program InternBookmark This
Bridges to Independence
3103 9th Rd. N.
Posted: October 16 2015
Application Deadline: Available Year-round
Position: Part-time, Unpaid
Always be on the alert for potentially fraudulent job postings online - never send money to a potential employer.
DescriptionBridges to Independence (b2i) is Northern Virginia’s leading provider of services for homeless women/families and those at risk. We offer a continuum of aid and support for all family members, helping them attain stability and move forward into self-sufficiency. Prevention is our other priority – reaching out to at-risk families and helping them avoid homelessness in the first place.
A private, nonprofit organization, b2i has been working with and for homeless families since 1985, when we were founded as the Arlington-Alexandria Coalition for the Homeless. We became Bridges to Independence in 2015 because we needed a name that better reflects how our mission and service spectrum have evolved and expanded over the years.
The Tutoring Program Intern will assist with coordinating the b2i Tutoring Program, under the direction of the Volunteer Coordinator.
The intern will:
• Gain professional experience managing a team of volunteers.
• Gain hands-on experience working with homeless and at-risk families and youth.
• Learn to use the Outcome Tracker database, a cloud-based VistaShare client management system.
• Become familiar with Pre-employ.com’s background check system.
• Have the opportunity to conceptualize and organize volunteer appreciation events.
• Learn about the management and operations of a human services nonprofit.
Hours: 10 hours a week, must include some evenings Mon-Wed, 6-8 pm.
Compensation: Unpaid/Volunteer Internship
ResponsibilitiesSpecific responsibilities will include:
• Interviewing clients to determine their tutoring needs.
• Matching b2i clients (youth and adults) with volunteer tutors.
• Ensuring that all volunteer tutors have updated background checks.
• Tracking client and tutor attendance at tutoring sessions.
• Assisting with periodic volunteer appreciation events.
• Serving as one of the b2i liaisons with a corporate partner providing tutors.
Requirements• Completed or working toward a college degree, preferably in a related field (e.g., Education, Non-Profit Management, Volunteer Management, Program Management)
• Related experience either as a volunteer or managing volunteers is a plus.
• Computer literacy/working knowledge of MS Office.
• Enthusiasm about the mission of Bridges to Independence and the families we serve.
• Effective written and oral communication skills.