Photography Internship in Arts Administration, Studio Management and Social NetworkingBookmark This
Joy Jacobs Photography
175 W 12th St #15L 10011
New York, NY
DescriptionJoy Jacobs Photography is a small, dynamic, commercial portrait and event photography business located in the West Village. Our mission is to bring joy to people through photography that reflects the authentic beauty so often present and so rarely captured. We are currently implementing our business plan to reach more editorial and advertising clients.
Our interns are a respected and essential part of our team who handle important tasks while learning the fundamentals of a commercial photography studio.
From this internship, you will gain valuable experience that will help you enter the job market. If appropriate, we will provide references to candidates to contact our network of photo editors, art buyers and photographers for future job referrals after completion of the internship.
Our interns love us!
“Aside from Joy's friendly, hospitable, and overall awesome personality (and the delicious food!), there is so much to learn from working behind-the-scenes in a business. You learn so much about all the little pieces that make a business run as a whole. Also, as an intern at Joy Jacobs Photography you're really given responsibility and a voice in the studio. I wasn't just photocopying papers and grabbing coffee like you do at so many internships; you get to be really involved and active as an intern.”- Vanessa (Summer Intern 2013)
“I loved it! It was really great to come and be part of the business at such an exciting time with so much growth and potential. It was interesting for me to see what it’s like in the beginning stages of a small business and how different it is from a big corporation. It was a really fun environment that was not stiff at all, constantly changing and very comfortable. I loved all the brainstorming that went into improving the business.”- Oyinkan (Summer Intern 2013)
CANDIDATE: This internship suits someone interested in Arts Administration and photography. You will gain first hand experience on the business and the creative sides of owning a commercial photography studio and growing a small business.
This is an unpaid internship requiring a minimum of  hours per week during 2-4 days per week. Select projects may include work from home options.
* A per-diem for travel expenses will be provided.
College Credit is available depending upon the credit requirements of the intern’s college and we will work with you to fill out any necessary paperwork or reviews.
We will attempt to set the standard working hours around your schedule. Responsibilities can also be flexible around your interests/studies, and we will do our best to answer any and all questions throughout the course of your internship to ensure you get the most out of your experience.
APPLICATION: Interested candidates please email us describing your education, experience, interests and goals along with a PDF copy of your resume. NO CALLS PLEASE.
ResponsibilitiesRESPONSIBILITIES: Will Include:
- Discussing and developing marketing plans together with sales projects and strategies
- Designing and preparing marketing pieces
- Assisting Studio in Cultivating a Social Media Referral Network
- Managing Blogger outreach, participation and feedback
- Organizing photos to assist in preparation and updating of portfolios, galleries and websites
- Preparing, documenting and filing proposals, submissions, contracts, billings and collections
- Correspondence and telephone conversations with clients and potential clients
- Assisting in production for event and private commission shoots when mutually convenient and appropriate
- Maintaining and updating website, Facebook page, as well as Client Contact Databases: Highrise, Linked In , Apple Address Book / iCloud, Google Address Book
- Running necessary errands; cleaning and maintaining the workplace; and contributing positively to the life of the Studio
RequirementsExperience in the following would be helpful for the prospective Intern, but not required:
- WordPress and Adobe Business Solutions
- Quickbooks and Excel
- Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop, and/or InDesign
Qualities of an Ideal Candidate:? ?
Extremely organized; interested in the business of photography and its marketing; willing to do whatever is required to support business plan; focused, motivated, adaptable to changing needs, and a positive attitude; strong communication, social media and computer skills. Ideal candidates are personable, well-mannered, detail-oriented and can take direction. Promptness, dedication to the task at hand and a strong work ethic will all be rewarded. This is a great first step into the world of commercial photography or a great second step for someone who has previous experience.