2013 Internships - Apex Mountain SchoolBookmark This
Apex Mountain School
51 Eagle Rd. #1
DescriptionAPEX MOUNTAIN SCHOOL INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITY 2013:
We are currently accepting applications for our Spring 2013 and Summer 2013 internship positions. Our program receives high accolades from interns of past. Our focus is on growing field opportunities for the intern by providing an environment that they can flourish and challenge themselves in. Past interns have gone on to place immediately in key positions with industry leaders.
Apex Mountain School provides an internship program that appeals to a wide array of students, with focus areas including:
• outdoor education
• parks and recreation
• marketing and advertising
• public relations
• internet marketing
• web development
• outdoor leadership
• business development
Apex is a full service mountaineering company, based in Vail, Colorado. We provide both group and private guided activities in the following disciplines: rock climbing, ice climbing, alpine climbing, rappelling, indoor wall climbing, bouldering, snowshoeing, backcountry ski touring and ski & snowboard descents, and backcountry hut to hut tours by ski/board/snowshoe/mountain biking/hiking. As a school, we provide open enrollment and private classes in avalanche education, backcountry skiing, rock and ice climbing, wilderness medicine, survival skills and navigation by map & compass and GPS. Additionally, we offer team-building and organizational development events and curriculum for large corporate groups, as well as group events for weddings, family reunions, bachelor/bachelorette parties and other groups. We contract for rigging, professional video and still shoot sessions, site scouting and speaking engagements.
600 hours over 15 weeks, broken into 540 office and/or guiding hours (experience and skills dependent) and 60 field training and/or assistant guiding hours. Field hours often far exceed the requirement, and we fully support this provided performance is met in the office environment.
This internship is without monetary pay, and requires a full-time commitment.
The intern may be involved in many facets of the business, with an emphasis on day-to-day operations, marketing and advertising, and/or program development, and other facets of the operation, depending on qualifications and motivations of the intern and needs of the company. Responsibility is dictated by intern’s performance.
ResponsibilitiesBenefits to the Intern may include:
• Experience working for a Reputable Expanding Full-Service U.S.-Based Mountaineering Company – Log resume experience with an innovative, reputable mountaineering company in the heart of the Rocky Mountains of Colorado.
• Small Business Entrepreneurial Experience – Learn the in’s and out’s of running a small business in the outdoor adventure and team-building sector from real world experience with Apex.
• Marketing, Advertising, Web Development and Program Development experience – Gain additional resume skills with measurable results in interactive and traditional marketing, advertising, PR, web and program development efforts.
• Intern in a top 3-rated mountain town to live in North America – Quick access to skiing, climbing, biking, boating and more in the Rocky Mountains in and around Vail, Beaver Creek, Aspen, Steamboat Springs, Arapahoe Basin, Copper Mountain, Breckenridge, Keystone and the Moab, Utah Desert.
• Marketability and Opportunity – Set your resume apart. Company reputation, training, field experience, shadow and mock guiding experience, and a formal reference letter boosts your appeal to potential employers in the outdoor industry.
• Guide Training – Receive AMGA-format training, as well as training in fundamentals that employers look for in a budding new guide.
• Field Experience – Shadow guide paying clients on adventures.
• Pro Purchase – During full-time involvement, you may qualify for purchasing gear at a professional rate.
• Access to free courses and discounted courses – You may enroll in our discipline-specific training courses, many without charge. Examples include climbing technique courses, backcountry skiing courses, navigation courses, avalanche education courses, survival skills courses, and wilderness medicine courses, as well as guide training.
• Fulfill your school’s internship requirements – We are happy to assist in your meeting internship guidelines for your undergraduate or graduate programs.
RequirementsQualified internship applicants should possess:
• A strong understanding of the importance of a balance between the benefit to the student and the organization in attaining success. A strong applicant is committed to fulfilling the internship, and understands that return is dictated by investment.
• A desire to enter the industry of study with a strong understanding of business operations from a full service mountaineering company based in the U.S., exemplified by a knowledge of back office operations, marketing and advertising efforts, public relations, business development and field operations gained through implementation.
• Reliable transportation, valid driver’s license, auto insurance.
• Reliable cell phone.
• No felonies.
• Apex is among the fastest-growing full-service mountaineering companies in Colorado, and our internships call for an individual that is:
• Ethical (strong personal and work ethic)
- Intelligent, Capable, Committed, Highly Motivated, Having a Positive Attitude
How to apply:
Applicants should visit the employment section of the Apex website (see link below), select “internship” and include: a short essay on why they wish to intern with Apex; an outdoor resume, including work experience, education and training, certificates and trade memberships, significant experiences in the field, and a detail of skills and experience (i.e. if you climb rock, what grade top rope, lead, trad, sport, commitment grade, etc) per discipline. Follow up within 48 hours with a phone call to the Director, Scott Smith at the number listed below.
Link: http://apexmountainschool.com/employment Phone #: 970-949-9111
As we are a marketing and business development-heavy organization with programs in corporate team building, internships may be requested focused on these three areas of study also. If you have a specific interest in one of these three areas, be sure to communicate this in your request to the Director.