ACE Conservation InternshipBookmark This
American Conservation Experience
2900 N Fort Valley Rd
Application Deadline: Available Year-round
Position: 20 Full-time, Unpaid
DescriptionLocation(s): ACE currently has offices in Flagstaff, Arizona, St. George, Utah, and Santa Cruz, California. Volunteers will be placed in one of the three locations and travel to various project locations throughout the internship. Conservation volunteers will be given accommodation at one of ACE’s houses in Flagstaff, AZ, Hurricane, UT, or Santa Cruz, CA where they will return for their off days when not working in the field.
Overview: American Conservation Experience (ACE) is a non-profit youth conservation corps offering unpaid, team-based internships for both American and International youth to take part in challenging outdoor projects in many of the most beautiful National Parks, National Forests and wilderness areas in the Western U. S.
ACE is dedicated to providing professional development and service learning opportunities for emerging land managers, environmental stewards, and conservation-minded corps members in culturally diverse and naturally inspiring settings. ACE members embody an ethic of environmental stewardship, learn practical conservation skills, and explore career options while accomplishing vital conservation projects in many of America’s most spectacular open spaces. Potential applicants interested in meeting people from different countries while improving many of the most beautiful areas in the American West are strongly encouraged to apply!
Position Description: ACE conservation interns participate in small teams while working and camping for up to 8 days at a time on direct service projects for the National Forest Service, National Park Service and other land management agencies. Typical projects include sustainable trail construction and maintenance, non-native species removal, fence construction, erosion control, and wilderness restoration. Conservation interns contribute their positive energy and enthusiasm to a safe and professional outdoor atmosphere while making a positive impact to the surrounding landscapes and communities.
• Proof of health insurance and US citizenship.
• Strong work ethic, positive attitude, and an interest/background in conservation.
• A 12 week minimum commitment is required.
Dates of Employment: ACE accepts applications throughout the year. All positions are filled on a first-come, first-serve basis due to limited capacity and high demand for all three programs.
How to Apply:
1. Visit www.usaconservation.org
2. Complete our online registration form at: http://www.usaconservation.org/volunteers/registration/american.html
3. Submit a motivational statement stating your goals, background, and reasons for wanting to participate in our program.
2900 N Fort Valley Road
Flagstaff, AZ 86001
email@example.com Office: (928) 814 - 3071
333 Soquel Avenue Santa Cruz, CA 95062
Office: (831) 427-1091
• Following verbal and written instructions from all ACE staff and project partners.
• Demonstrating respect towards all ACE members and wilderness regulations/policies.
• Following strict safety guidelines, including the responsible use of personal protective gear, and insuring that all tools, equipment, vehicles and other co-workers are working safely in all conditions.
• Working as a part of a team while maintaining a professional demeanor and good communication.
• Desire and ability to work outdoors and hike long distances, at times in inclement weather and terrain. Willingness to perform frequent and continuous physical activity such as bending, lifting, and carrying heavy weights.
• Willing and able to spend up to six consecutive weeks in the backcountry or at least one month away from Flagstaff and/or Santa Cruz.
• Ability to work hard with a positive mental attitude.
• Capacity to take care of oneself during challenging work days by monitoring personal hydration, energy levels, and safety procedures.
• Abiding by all ACE rules including the zero tolerance policy of alcohol consumption/possession on all ACE projects and properties.
• Free housing in Flagstaff, Hurricane, or Santa Cruz during off-days.
• Free food and individual tents during project days.
• Free transportation to and from project locations.
• Opportunity to advance within the organization and obtain an AmeriCorps or Staff position.
• Practical, hands-on experience that will enhance resume/leadership building.
• Networking opportunities with projects partners (USFS, NPS, etc.).
• Job skills training, career development, and service learning opportunities.
• Unique experience that allows plenty of time for members to explore the American West with fellow outdoor enthusiasts from a wide range of backgrounds.