Academic TutorBookmark This
Instituto del Progreso Latino
2570 S. Blue Island Ave.
DescriptionIJLA is an alternative high school in Pilsen located at 2570 S. Blue Island Ave., Chicago, IL with youth ages 17-21 looking to earn their high school diploma. Although classes are already small, we want students to be able to take advantage of one-on-one attention from tutors currently enrolled in college. Tutors will get a chance to not only help students improve their academic skills, but to also mentor them and encourage them to attend college. The IJLA is looking to recruit 13-15 tutors for the 2012 fall semester to assist math, English, writing, Spanish, science, and history teachers. We are willing to work with your school to provide internship credit, otherwise tutors will gain the opportunity to put valuable unpaid experience on their resume while networking with a school that will be building additional campuses and looking to fulfill paid positions in the near future.
Responsibilities- Assist students with comprehending ideas and understanding instructions given in the classroom.
- Maintain a relationship with your assigned teacher by keeping up with what assignments students are responsible to complete and understanding the themes being taught in class.
- Be able to relate to or have an open mind to learn more about inner-city youth and issues that uniquely affect them.
- Help supervise classes by making sure students stay on task.
Requirements- Must display patience when working with students.
- Must challenge students to think critically and make connections between what they learn in the classroom and what they experience outside of it.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Word and research methods (i.e. identifying reliable sources and unreliable sources).
- Should be willing to be flexible and cover for other tutors, but we’ll work with your schedule.
- Edit students’ writing assignments while letting them know what they do well and how they can improve certain areas of their writing.
- Preferred, but not required: stay after school on Wednesdays from 12:30pm to 3:15pm to tutor.
- Must show academic writing sample of at least 2-3 pages.
- Transcripts displaying math grades to show proof of proficiency.
- Required to have completed calculus I with a B or A, preferred to have completed calculus III with a B or A.
- Must be fluent in Spanish and English and show written proof of proficiency in both languages by submitting a 2-3 page academic writing sample for each language.
- Must be willing to work independently as the Spanish tutor may not have an assigned teacher and will learn how to navigate an online program.
- Familiarity with Latin American studies preferred, but not required.
- Must meet requirements as stated under the ENGLISH/WRITING TUTOR section.
- Familiarity with at least two of the following subjects: biology, chemistry, environmental science, physics, pre-nursing.
- Must provide college transcript that includes science class grades to demonstrate proficiency.