Accountant/Internal Controls AnalystBookmark This
National Security Agency
Fort Meade, MD
DescriptionResponsibilities The National Security Agency has an immediate need for an Accountant/Internal Control Analyst in the Directorate of Finance. The selectee will report to the Chief, Financial Improvement and Audit Team (FIAT) and will serve as resident expert in internal controls and audits of Federal financial statements.
The FIAT's primary objective is to assess and remediate audit impediments to enable to NSA to produce auditable financial statements to support an audit by an Independent Public Accountant (IPA) and obtain an unqualified audit opinion on the statements. This includes working to implement a Financial System Integration Office (FSIO) compliant financial management system and enhancing NSA's Managers' Internal Control (MIC) Program to improve effectiveness and efficiency of Agency operations for compliance with the Federal Managers' Financial Integrity Act (FMFIA). Automated functionalities for several critical workstreams are being developed to provide reliable financials to support the audit; however until these functionalities are available, manual processes need to be developed to accumulate financial data until automated system capabilities are delivered to achieve auditability goals for FY 2016.
This position resides in the FIAT, which is part of the Directorate of Resources Management that is subordinate to the Agency Chief Financial Manager. The selectee will be responsible to help ensure NSA complies with the following laws and regulations:
1. Federal Managers Financial Integrity Act of 1982 (FMFIA), which requires ongoing evaluations and reports on the adequacy of the systems of internal accounting and administrative controls.
2. Chief Financial Officers (CFO) Act of 1990, which requires Federal agencies to prepare annual financial statements that can sustain a financial statement audit.
Specific duties include:
- The candidate should possess a basic knowledge of internal controls, and the ability to work towards identifying, documenting, and analyzing internal controls over business processes, and identifying weaknesses in design and/or effectiveness of internal controls. This is critical to assist with developing and implementing manual control processes, which will be a major emphasis in this role. Emphasis is placed on understanding and evaluating financial reporting controls. Knowledge of the Federal Managers Financial Integrity Act (FMFIA), the CFO Act of 1990, and GAO Standards for Internal Control within the Federal Government are important to success in this position.
- Multiple positions are available and the successful candidates will be responsible for assisting the Chief and Deputy Chief in administering the Agency's overall Audit Compliance effort. The candidate will support the audit by performing as a liaison between the auditors and the accountants/process owners. He/she should be able to provide an understanding of the business process and related controls and review supporting documentation prior to providing to the auditor..Qualifications The person selected for this position must have excellent interpersonal skills, be willing to work with management and staff members in performing daily tasks associated with the organization's audit remediation mission related activities, and be part of a team that can assess processes and controls in their assigned areas, make sound recommendations for process improvement when necessary and be willing to work with the manual process implementation effort.
Skills and Knowledge:
- Candidates with 1 to 5 years of progressive accounting/auditing experience in performing audits, reviews, and/or analytical studies of organizations, business processes or programs financial activities; or experience in preparing auditable financial statements a plus should consider applying for this vacancy.
- A Bachelor's Degree in business administration is required, with a concentration in Accounting or Finance.
- Possessing or working towards a professional certification as a Certified Public Accountant, Certified Internal Auditor, Certified Information Systems Auditor, Certified Management Accountant, Certified Government Financial Manager and/or Certified Defense Financial Manager is a plus.
- Knowledge of FMFIA, OMB Bulletin No. 07-04 (Audit Requirements for Federal Financial Statements), OMB Circular A-123 including Appendix A (Management's Responsibility for Internal Control), OMB Circular A-136 (Financial Reporting Requirements), DoD Instruction 5010.40, CFO Act, GAO Standards for Internal Control in the Federal Government, GAO Internal Control Management and Evaluation Tool, and the Treadway Commission's Committee of Sponsoring Organizations Internal Control Framework is beneficial.
- Basic knowledge of internal controls required. Experience in identifying, documenting, and /or analyzing internal controls over significant business processes, including financial reporting controls is desirable.
- Ability to identify weaknesses in design and/or effectiveness of internal controls is desirable.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Willingness to work in a team environment.
- Sense of urgency with good time management skills.Pay, Benefits, Work Schedule Salary is commensurate with education and experience.
Salary range: $51,630 - $81,204.How To Apply - External To apply for this position, please click the 'Apply Now' button located at the top or bottom of this page. After completing the application and clicking the `Submit Final' button, you will receive a confirmation email. Emails regarding your application status will be sent periodically. Please ensure your spam filters are configured to accept emails from firstname.lastname@example.org.
U.S. Citizenship is required for all applicants. Reasonable accommodations provided to applicants with disabilities during the application and hiring process where appropriate. NSA is an equal opportunity employer and abides by applicable employment laws and regulations. All applicants and employees are subject to random drug testing in accordance with Executive Order 12564. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a security background investigation and polygraph.
This position is a Defense Civilian Intelligence Personnel System (DCIPS) position in the Excepted Service under 10 U.S.C. 1601. DoD Components with DCIPS positions apply Veterans' Preference to eligible candidates as defined by Section 2108 of Title 5 USC, in accordance with the procedures provided in DoD Instruction 1400.25, Volume 2005, DCIPS Employment and Placement. If you are a veteran claiming veterans' preference, as defined by Section 2108 of Title 5 U.S.C., you must submit documents verifying your eligibility with your application package..DCIPS Disclaimer The National Security Agency (NSA) is part of the DoD Intelligence Community Defense Civilian Intelligence Personnel System (DCIPS). All positions in the NSA are in the Excepted Services under 10 United States Codes (USC) 1601 appointment authority..