Applications Analyst II - Laboratory Information SystemsBookmark This
6565 Fannin St.
Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: M - F
Houston Methodist (HM) is one of the nation’s leading health systems and academic medical centers. HM consists of five hospitals: Houston Methodist Hospital, its flagship academic hospital in the heart of the Texas Medical Center and four community hospitals throughout the greater Houston metropolitan area. HM also includes a research institute, an international business division, numerous physician practices and several free standing emergency rooms and outpatient facilities. Overall, HM employs over 15,000 employees. FORTUNE magazine has placed Houston Methodist on its annual list of “100 Best Companies To Work For” since 2006. Houston Methodist is supported by a wide variety of business functions that operate at the system level to help enable clinical departments to provide the best patient care and service in a spiritual environment.
The Application Analyst II is responsible for advancing the functionality and operational efficiency of assigned Laboratory Information Systems (LIS) and solutions. This entails analyzing and developing LIS software modules advising, assisting, and training laboratory customers in the operation and administration of their systems and collaborating with customers to enhance their work methodologies and tools. The Application Analyst II is charged with ensuring the services that he/she provides contribute to the successful accomplishment of the primary mission of the IT department providing services to Pathology and Genomic Medicine Department. The Application Analyst II possesses sufficient technical expertise to support an assigned application LIS module, but may be called upon to assist with multiple applications for Pathology and Genomic Medicine Department. The Application Analyst II supports the Project Management activities required to deliver valuable relevant solutions and assists in the development of project schedules, plans and timelines. The Application Analyst II reports directly to the Manager, while also receiving leadership from Senior and Lead Application Analysts. The Application Analyst II applies skills, in line with TMHS values and goals, to assure the efficient, effective and consistent delivery of high quality services. The Application Analyst II is responsible for demonstrating Integrity, Compassion, Accountability, Respect, and Excellence.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Demonstrates Ability to problem solve and generate innovative solutions in conjunction with customers, vendors, and Information Technology
- Proposes solutions to problems and considers timeliness, effectiveness, and practicality in addressing client needs.
- Anticipates client needs before they arise and communicates them to Team Lead or Manager for solution development
- Understands client/server architectures.
- Understands the workflow of interface message types such as ADT, Orders and Results to and from clinical applications.
- Provide Technical Support for Application Assigned.
- Leads and facilitates meetings as well as develops meeting objectives, agendas and action items.
- Understands Project Management Methodology as defined by the TMHS IT PMO and applies them consistently
- Prioritizes issue resolution, work requests and tasks effectively.
- Accurately prepares written business correspondence that is coherent, grammatically correct, effective and professional.
- Clearly articulate ideas and thoughts through written and verbal communications.
- Establishes effective working relationship with clients.
- Establishes responsible deadlines and personal work plans and manages time effectively.
- Accurately completes and submits status reports in a timely manner
- Understands business processes and requirements as related to the assigned clinical environment.
- Shares acquired skills with team members through documentation and training.
- Adheres to system, division and department policies, procedures, guidelines and standards.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent field or formal education as a licensed health care professional with current license.
3-5 years of experience in Healthcare with IT Experience preferred.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS PREFERRED
- MT(ASCP) Registry,
- Certified MLS(ASCP)
- Certified MLS(ASCP)CM
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Core/General Laboratory LIS Analyst experience – reporting, billing, test development
- Pathology experience – Histology or Cytology
- Genetics experience – Flow Cytometry or HLA
- Report Development
- Instrument Interfaces troubleshooting and implementation
- HL7 Interfaces – patient demographics, orders, and results
- Networking/ Hardware knowledge/skills
- Microsoft Office experience
- Experienced with HIS/EMR systems (Knowledge and Support)
- Experience/understand inter/intra-departmental work flow and communications
- Experience in create, test, install and provide education sessions and in-services to users
Equal Employment Opportunity
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Methodist is firmly bound. Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Methodist on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, physical or mental disability, medical condition, ancestry, marital status, age, sexual orientation, citizenship, genetic information or status as a Vietnam-era veteran or special disabled veteran .