Associate Engineer PackagingBookmark This
DescriptionReference Code: 1308646
Newell Rubbermaid is a global marketer of consumer and commercial products that touch the lives of people where they live, work and play. We are committed to building consumer and commercial Brands That MatterTM while leveraging the benefits of being one company: shared expertise, operating efficiencies, and a culture of innovation. Our globally recognized brands include Sharpie, Paper Mate, DYMO, EXPO, Waterman, Parker, Rolodex, IRWIN, LENOX, Rubbermaid, Graco, Calphalon, Goody and Teutonia.
The associate in this role will work with plant manufacturing to apply the Newell-Rubbermaid OPEX process to packaging and packaging processes used within the facility. The associate works with suppliers, plant engineers, packaging engineers, product engineers and packaging sourcing to improve N-R metrics - productivity, labor efficiency (DLE), Cost of Failure (COF) including ergonomics and safety.
The associate is a liaison for improvement opportunities, particularly within the PPAP process during product/packaging release. This associate identifies all potential manufacturing concerns (related to actual fit, functionality, and labor safety issues) for all packaging, and specifications, including packaging support equipment.
• Identify, document, and implement productivity initiatives around packaging related components - BOM and expensed.
• Identify and implement continuous improvement projects that address plant metrics - COF, DLE, OEE, Safety and Service.
• Lead semi-annual VAVE to focus associates and suppliers on packaging cost reduction opportunities from redesign.
• Work with product packaging engineers to implement "designed-for-manufacture" packaging for all new products from the conceptual phase to production.
• Supports corporate packaging initiatives including new product/SKU packaging.
• Integrates with suppliers to generate new concepts and bring new technology to the site.
• On-going floor support and trouble-shooting for new and existing product packaging.
• Work on packaging related customer / consumer complaints.
• Provide packaging assistance to other departments and subsidiaries - Sourcing, Planning, and Distribution.
• Expand and upgrade knowledge and education - work with internal associates, packaging suppliers, customers, and other suppliers ( e.g. capital equipment ) to bring new technology and tools to the facility.
Must work effectively in a fast paced team environment with constant interruptions. Must clearly communicate business goals so associates understand how they contribute to the organization’s success. Extensive short-term planning based on established and changing priorities. Involves ongoing problem solving. Some irregular hours required. Work is performed with minimal supervision. The position works within a team environment, which requires communication with all levels of management and production personnel. The Engineer will be handling multiple projects, which requires excellent project management skills.
• Bachelor's degree in packaging and 2+ years of consumer packaging experience
• Working knowledge of packaging technologies (focused on corrugated and folding cartons)
• Excellent project management skills
• Excellent communication skills-verbal and written
• Able to lead and coordinate various task teams
• Utilizes persuasion and persistence to implement best packaging solutions
• Computer literacy in CAD and database applications.
**ABOVE IS A REPRESENTATION OF THE GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE POSITION AND SHOULD NOT BE CONSTRUED AS A COMPLETE DESCRIPTION. THIS POSITION MAY REQUIRE OTHER RESPONSIBILITIES AS DEEMED NECESSARY BY THE MANAGEMENT TEAM.**
Newell Rubbermaid and its Business Units are Equal Opportunity Employers and comply with applicable employment laws. M/F/D/V are encouraged to apply.