Associate Surety Underwriter - Surety Underwriting Trainee Program - Syracuse, NY- June 2014Bookmark This
Liberty Mutual Insurance
DescriptionDescription Please include your overall GPA on your resume or a copy of your most recent transcripts.Attention Finance, Economics, Business, Risk Management, and Accounting Majors! Are you interested in building a career, and not just a job, that will allow you to apply your finance and analytical abilities while building strong relationships? Are you interested in working with a Global Organization with the potential to engage in international opportunities ? Then consider a career as an Associate Surety Underwriter with Liberty Mutual Suretys Class of 2014 in our Syracuse, NY office. (Bilingual candidates fluent in French- written and verbal-highly encouraged!) Considered a hidden gem in the financial servicesarena, a career in Surety often leads to a lifetime career for those fortunate enough to join, and offers a unique blend using your analytical and project management skills along with your passion of working with people and developing and managing relationships. Surety is an exciting niche industry with lifelong opportunity, extraordinary diversity and growth, and provides balance between structured process and creative, entrepreneurial spirit to business problem solving. Our unique career provides you with an atmosphere of upward mobility and steady advancement to optimize opportunities for professional progression for decades to come. Why Consider a Career with Liberty Mutual Surety? Liberty Mutual Surety is the 2 nd largest and most admired Surety Company. As one of the top 50 companies to launch your career, our unparalleled College Hire Trainee program is considered paramount for recent graduates, and focuses on building future leaders for our Surety organization. We know that your choice of employer and career is one of the most important decisions you can make. We realize you want to know that youll be building a career with a solid foundation one you can be proud of with an employer who wants to see you succeed right from the start, And we value the importance you place on selecting a company that offers an extensive career path and training program to support your ongoing learning and advancement opportunities. Thats why we are committed to educating aspiring and experienced professionals to excel in our industry. Through our extensive Surety Underwriter Training Program, we offer the opportunity to build upon your academic success and learn the surety business in its entirety while developing risk selection and decision making skills to advance your career. Through our Mentoring Program, you will enhance your surety training by learning from and working with some of the industries most experienced and respected surety professionals. You will learn about financial credit analysis, contract evaluation, and project risk assessment and will meet with owners and/or key executives of construction companies and other major commercial industries, and develop marketing and sales skills. Our unique educational curriculum is designed to provide the requisite blend of skills, delivered in a fashion to accelerate your development as a surety professional. Responsibilities:
- Successfully complete the comprehensive Surety Underwriter training program consisting of one-on-one mentoring, self-study, classroom training, and on- the-job training. Partake in AFSB certification activities including coursework, self-study, and exams as required.
- Develop a working knowledge of key contract and/or commercial underwriting concepts as well as various internal and external factors which can impact the credit worthiness of a risk.
- Develop an understanding of how financial conditions, character, experience and other factors can influence ultimate credit decisions and how to communicate these to internal and external customers.
- Develop analytical expertise necessary to assess financial solvency of credit risks.
- Develop on-going relationships with internal and external customers, monitor profitability and quality of submissions, and keep up-to-date with underwriting and/or product changes.
- Coordinate flows of financial data and analyses received from customers to/from Home Office, as directed.
- Monitor and pursue, if necessary, the continuous flow of underwriting data on contract and/or commercial surety cases, as directed.
- Gain experience with various internal systems to assist in analytical functions.
- Attend meetings with Underwriters, producers, and/or contractors in support of business need as directed.
- Develop a working understanding of the surety/agency relationship and how to provide direction to the agents.
- Gain experience and solid understanding of internal structure and business units, such as Home Office Underwriting and Claims.
- Market the Company products to achieve company growth and profitability targets.
- Attend and participate in industry functions and events as appropriate to develop and build a strong surety network and increase visibility in the marketplace as well as increase knowledge.
- Perform special projects to build understanding of the surety business and support the business needs of the respective territory/market upon request.