Associate Test Lab EngineerBookmark This
DescriptionReference Code: 1306376
Newell Rubbermaid is a global marketer of consumer and commercial products that touch the lives of people where they live, work and play. We are committed to building consumer and commercial Brands That MatterTM while leveraging the benefits of being one company: shared expertise, operating efficiencies, and a culture of innovation. Our globally recognized brands include Sharpie, Paper Mate, DYMO, EXPO, Waterman, Parker, Rolodex, IRWIN, LENOX, Rubbermaid, Graco, Calphalon, Goody and Teutonia.
Rubbermaid Consumer is searching for a highly motivated Engineer. The ideal candidate will be able to work in cross-functional teams to support the product category team in the development of new products and implementing improvements to existing products. This person needs to balance work on multiple projects and manage to deadlines.
· Evaluate and optimize product concepts for mechanical function (e.g., fit, function, interference, stacking, nesting, etc), manufacturability, packaging and material handling.
· Perform physical and visual inspections of components and product assemblies to verify conformance to specifications and product drawings.
· Ensure that new products function properly, meet specifications and timing objectives.
· Deliver accurate and valid test results in concise reports.
· Design and build test fixtures (using CAD and machining).
· Collaborate with Product Engineers to develop formal product standards and ensure testing is consumer relevant.
· Provide direction guidance for test lab technicians and manage work flow (forecasting resources and equipment loading).
· Aggressively drive testing projects to achieve time, cost, capital, and performance deliverables.
· Ensure lab equipment maintenance is performed as needed and equipment calibration schedules are adhered to.
· Maintain contacts with production plant’s quality departments and provide the necessary support during the debugging and pre-production part inspection phase.
· Collaboration between the other Newell test labs to maximize network of capabilities and resources.
· Provide technical support in solving product quality problems with new and existing products.
· Work on special projects as assigned, e.g., new processes and technologies, and evaluate competitive product to benchmark characteristics and performance.
· Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical or Industrial Engineering or Mechanical Engineering Technology or similar. Master’s degree a plus.
· Proficient in the use of hand tools and measuring instruments (force gages, calipers, micrometers, etc.); experience with machine tools a plus
· CAD abilities (SolidWorks or Pro-E preferred)
· Proficient in reading and interpreting engineering drawings and specifications
· Must be proficient in Microsoft Office applications
· Entry-level to 3 years of Product Engineering Experience, preferably in durable consumer goods.
· Knowledge of plastic, metal, and/or wood production processing and product design.
· Evidence of taking initiative and/or leadership on projects and a history of working independently and as a member of cross-functional teams.
· Effective planning/organizational skills with a demonstrated ability to multi-task and set priorities.
· Strong project management skills (MS Project experience preferred).
· Evidence of strong problem solving skills including problem identification, strategy development and resolution.
· Strong interpersonal skills including effective written and verbal communication, and the ability to express ideas precisely, persuasively and effectively.
· Proven record of creativity and passion for product design.
· Travel up to 15% both domestic and international.
Work is to be done in conjunction with others (Designers, Product Managers, Program Managers, Packaging Engineers, Plant Operations, Plant Quality, etc.). Candidate must have sound communication skills in a cross-functional team environment. Candidate must be self-directed and have a passion for detail and accuracy. Work is often subject to time and deadline pressure, so the ideal candidate must be flexible and have the ability to handle changing priorities and multiple projects. The candidate must be a proactive individual who can drive projects to timely completion.