Benefits SpecialistBookmark This
Loyola University Chicago
1032 W. Sheridan Rd.
Description- Administers FMLA and disability including calculating insurance premiums for employees who are on leave of absence and processing benefit premium payments. Assists in administering return to work issues and monitoring employee disability status.
- Responsible for all LOA-related communication with employee and the employee's manager as employee moves through LOA process.
- Administers group benefits and implements changes in benefit plans. Ensures information is processed accurately and communicated as needed. Interprets benefit plan documentation in response to customer inquiries. Researches all employee benefit questions/issues and ensures resolution. Processes benefit plan enrollments, terminations and status changes to include communication with vendor and employee. Ensures changes are recorded accurately and paperwork is processed in a timely manner. Processes health and welfare plan premium payments ensuring accurate and timely submission.
- Assists the Benefits Manager with the planning and implementation of annual benefits open enrollment event. Processes annual open enrollment paperwork and system changes. Interacts effectively with both employees and vendors to ensure benefits elections are recorded accurately and information is transferred to appropriate vendors.
- Responsible for planning, scheduling and presenting benefits orientation.
- Reconciles benefit premium billing and prepares wires for insurance premiums and retirement contributions.
- Maintains vendor contact to investigate discrepancies and provide information in non-routine situations.
- Evaluates and compares existing employee benefits with those of other employers by analyzing other plans, surveys, and other sources of information.
- Assists in preparing materials and in presenting benefit plan changes to employees throughout the year.
- Updates and maintains the benefit website updates.
- Maintains employee benefit files and other record keeping including changes within HRIS.
- Provides support to the Director of Compensation, Benefits and HRIS and Benefits Manager.
- Participates in regular staff meetings and University sponsored training sessions.
- Performs related duties as assigned and/or required.
- Will travel to other locations to assist with benefits.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
RequirementsBachelor's degree in related field and two years of related experience in a benefits department.
Proficient in MS office and adept user of Internet and other office automation systems.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, verbal, diagram, or schedule form.