Code Enforcement Officer InternshipBookmark This
City of San Clemente
910 Calle Negocio
San Clemente, CA
DescriptionTo enforce municipal, state, and federal laws and regulations related to municipal land use, zoning, public safety, property maintenance, sanitation and health, building engineering and safety, and abatement; to provide assistance to homeowners, tenants, and the business community; and to perform a variety of related duties as assigned.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Receives general supervision from assigned supervisor.
No supervision is exercised over other staff.
Responsibilities1. Consults with and coordinates code enforcement actions with other City departments, the City Attorney, and other agencies as needed; as needed, patrols or inspects an assigned area to monitor for violations of local codes, ordinances and regulations.
2. Responds to citizen complaints of potential code violations relating to signing, building occupancy, nuisances, hazardous sidewalks, housing and other conditions, construction, land use, zoning, animals, noise, dumping, clearing grading, filling, polluting, and other code related matters.
3. Conducts field investigations of potential violations; meets with complainants, witnesses and other members of the public; compares facts to code requirements; makes finding(s) and issues warnings, correction notices, or citations.
4. Meets with property owners, tenants, contractors, developers, businesses and other agencies to review and explain code requirements and violations or potential violations; investigates allegations of code violations.
5. Prepares and distributes a variety of correspondence, memorandums, notices, flyers, brochures, media releases and reports relating to code enforcement issues and actions; prepares and analyzes statistical data.
6. Provides information and assists the public in matters pertaining to municipal code enforcement and/or provisions including zoning, land use, planning design, review, and related matters; maintains a variety of logs and records related to inspections and enforcement activities; prepares recommendations for amendments and additions to relevant codes and/or regulations.
7. Prepares detailed reports of activities and investigations performed; consults with those needed in the preparation of case reports for court action; testifies in court.
8. Attends meetings at pertinent organizations to stay current in the field of code enforcement.
9. Educates the commercial and residential communities regarding the municipal code, ordinances and community standards.
10. Presents evidence at public hearings, hearing officer proceedings and in court, as needed.
11. Performs related duties as assigned.
City, State and Federal codes, ordinances and regulations related to land use, permits, property maintenance, health and public safety, disabled access, animal regulations, fire and public nuisance, building, housing, zoning and nuisance requirements.
Operational characteristics, services, and activities of a code enforcement program.
Construction and inspection methods used in building and related structures.
Methods and techniques of conflict resolution.
Record keeping methods and techniques.
Local geography and street locations.
Methods, procedures and techniques used in the identification, interpretation and enforcement of a wide variety of code violations.
Principles and methods of research and investigation related to code enforcement.
Effective public relations practices.
Evidentiary requirements for courts of law.
Current computer software programs and office equipment.
Research and interpret applicable City, State and Federal codes, ordinances and regulations related to all code enforcement activities.
Investigate and enforce proper zoning, nuisance, health and safety requirements, and all activities related to code enforcement efforts, including issuing citations.
Operate modern office equipment, including computers.
Prepare clear and concise reports and deliver oral presentations.
Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Maintain mental capacity which allows the capability of making sound decisions and demonstrating intellectual capabilities.
Maintain effective audio/visual discrimination and perception to the degree necessary for the successful performance of assigned duties.
Work weekends and evenings.