Computer Literacy InternshipBookmark This
International Rescue Committee
2305 Parklake Drive, Suite 100
DescriptionBACKGROUND: The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. At work in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities to restore safety, dignity and hope, the IRC leads the way from harm to home. The IRC in Atlanta office was established in 1979 and has resettled over 21,000 refugees from nearly 50 countries into the Greater Atlanta area. As the largest refugee resettlement agency in Georgia, the IRC in Atlanta resettles an average of 800 refugees into Georgia annually and provides additional services and assistance to another 1,500 refugees and asylees.
SCOPE OF COMPUTER LITERACY INTERN WORK: The Computer Literacy intern helps clients to gain valuable computer skills in IRC Atlanta's computer lab. These include basic computer operation, typing skills, the internet and specialized English language training computer programs.
• Simplify complex functions and applications to make them easily understood by those with limited or no knowledge of computers.
• Support newly arrived refugee clients to develop computer literacy skills.
• Create curriculum related to specific computer-related skills and tasks.
• Demonstrate the ability to work in a multi-level ESOL classroom.
• Promote a culturally inclusive and linguistically diverse classroom environment.
Responsibilities• Instruct individuals and small groups of IRC clients in basic computer operations, MS Office skills, and how to use the internet
• Assist clients with the use of educational software, including ESL programs
• Assist the program to locate appropriate software and hardware from both public and private sources
• Assist the program with troubleshooting lab computers and refurbishing donated computers
• Develop activities and curriculum materials to help students learn new skills
• Supervise appropriate use of the computer lab environment, making sure clients are engaged in learning
• Assist Computer Literacy Instructor to collect client attendance records and report on learning outcomes
• Strong interest in working with international clients
• Proven ability to work with consideration and respect for cross-cultural differences
• Excellent communication and organization skills
• Ability to work independently
• Computer skills, including Microsoft Office programs, web site creation, and Internet research
• Enthusiasm for helping people to learn