Database AnalystBookmark This
San Diego, CA
The UPS Store, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of UPS is the world's largest franchisor of retail shipping, postal, printing and business service centers. The UPS Store® has approximately 4,800 independently owned locations in the U.S., Puerto Rico and Canada. We offer competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package that includes health, dental, 401(k) with company match, retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, discounted stock purchase plans and more.
The focus of this position will have responsibility in administration of The UPS Store, Inc. SQL database systems. This position will also be responsible for designing, developing, testing, architecting and implementing various SQL related reporting projects.
Job Duties & Responsibilities:
- Configuration, administration and maintenance of the SQL Server databases for The UPS Store, Inc. development, quality assurance, and production environments.
- Meet with internal clients to gather requirements and interface with development team to implement new application data models.
- Determine how data should be organized, who should have access to different data and how it should be displayed.
- Design and develop data models and database architecture. Act as an internal consultant to answering challenging data questions from disparate data sources.
- Write, update, and maintain data processes to handle specific jobs such as tracking, reporting, and ETL.
- Design, develop and document physical data models, structures, OLAP cubes and database architecture.
- Provide technical guidance to application development team members for working with the data model.
- Develop and enhance stored procedures, triggers, functions, views.
- Maintain SSRS reports.
- Create SSIS packages to load, transform and process data.
- Develop scripts to automate administration and management of the environment.
- Database administration support including backups, recovery, security, tuning and monitoring.
- Resolving database production issues, code troubleshooting.
- Work with Network Engineers to coordinate network problem resolution.
- Participate in the software development life cycle to ensure accuracy, integrity, availability, and efficiency of corporate data.
- Review and analyze work products developed by software development group, including products developed by outside vendors.
- Manage database changes using best practices in configuration management.
- Create technical specifications and support documentation.
- Provide time estimates for completion of project tasks.
- Provide status reports to Management.
- Raise issues as needed and follow through on resolutions.
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science or technical training equivalent.
- Five plus years of work experience in the database administration field.
- Strong understanding and working knowledge of Microsoft SQL Server 2005, 2008 and 2012.
- Experience with Microsoft SSIS, SSRS, SSAS.
- Working understanding of replication, mirroring, clustering.
- Familiarity with third party database tools such as Redgate and Idera.
- In depth T-SQL knowledge is required, including advanced tuning skills.
- Experience with physical layer (storage, allocations, virtualization, partitioning).
- Good understanding of software development life cycle.
- Strong problem solving and analysis skills.
- Working knowledge of version control principles.
- Ability to collaborate and work in a team environment. Comfortable working in a team.
- Ability to multi-task in a dynamic working environment.
- Demonstrated knowledge of development methods and practices in a multi-platform environment.
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Good planning and organizational skills.
- Must be able to work independently.
- Able to work extended time seated and in front of a monitor.