English as a New Language Teaching InternshipBookmark This
Exodus Refugee Immigration
1125 Brookside Ave, suite C9
DescriptionExodus Refugee Immigration Inc. began in 1981 to serve the legal needs of immigrants and to respond to Cuban refugees that resulted in the Mariel Boatlift in Cuba. In its 30 year history, Exodus has had the responsibility and privilege to extend a warm welcome to these courageous persons seeking safety, freedom and a new home. Beyond hospitality Exodus’ role is also to provide the goods, services, support and resources necessary to empower these newcomers so that they can achieve self-sufficiency and create the secure and free life that every person deserves.
Exodus’ clients include individual refugees and refugee families (children, adults, and elders). Males and females are equally served. Certified victims of human trafficking, asylees, secondary migrant refugees are also served by Exodus. The largest populations currently served by Exodus are Burmese, Iraqi, and Eritrean refugees.
ResponsibilitiesInterns will be a part of the Language, Cultural Orientation & Readiness for Employment (LCORE) program and will assist with the preparation of lesson plans and materials used in English classes. The intern will also teach at least one class each week. Additional responsibilities include monitoring and entering attendance data, assisting with the development of new classroom activities, helping clients access additional learning opportunities, and general office duties such as filing and organizing classroom materials and supplies.
Requirements- Ability to relate to individuals from diverse ethnic, cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds and to work with them in a fair, supportive and cooperative manner
- Commitment to the human rights and general welfare of asylum seekers, refugees and immigrants
- Must be capable of working in a fast-paced, multicultural office environment, take initiative, be able to handle multiple assignments at once and meet deadlines
- Ability to maintain organized records
- Demonstrate respect for client privacy and maintain confidentiality
- Maintain an appearance and conduct suitable for working with the public
- Adheres to schedule but demonstrates a willingness to be flexible
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel and other Windows applications
- Reliable transportation, valid driver’s license & car insurance, and willingness to provide transportation to clients (not required but strongly preferred