Entry Level Infrastructure TechnologistBookmark This
American Family Insurance
DescriptionJob Title: Entry Level Infrastructure Technologist
Job ID: 05225
Division: Information Services
Work Location(s): United States-Wisconsin-Madison
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Prefer candidates who will be recent grads pursuing a degree in Computer Science. Prefer knowledge of Unix, Linux, Windows, networking and/or storage.
The Infrastructure Technologist is focused on building technical expertise for a specific discipline by providing technical support and assisting with the installation, maintenance and configuration of the infrastructure technologies and solutions used throughout the enterprise. Areas of specialization may include database administration, middleware, software engineering tools, enterprise content management or system software configuration and distribution. Performs technical functions associated with the ongoing support, maintenance and overall stability of specific infrastructure technologies and assists in developing and implementing best practices. Participates as a team member in client and division projects as required, assists with research on new technology offerings, industry trends and other happenings in IT that are relevant to American Family`s computing environment.
- System Support (60%)
- Provides second or third level support to the service management groups for assigned infrastructure technology and area of specialization.
- Troubleshoots and resolves technical issues; if necessary, engages other more experienced team members or vendors to ensuring prompt and accurate resolution and appropriate visibility.
- Assists in monitoring and managing the health of solutions and services by utilizing available tools. Creates reports related to response time and compliance with service level agreements.
- Maintains documentation for unit procedures, standards and methods for team members and other I/S colleagues.
- Shares knowledge and assists team members and other peers who are less experienced or knowledgeable in a specific technology.
- Builds understanding of assigned technologies within the organization through the creation of self-service options.
- Software Installation, Upgrades, Configuration, & Maintenance (30%)
- Accepts technical assignments from senior staff. Provides regular status updates on assigned work.
- Under the guidance of more senior technologists, executes plans for installations of new products and/or upgrades. This includes coordinating with internal team members and anyone else either inside or outside of the IS division.
- Installs, designs, and configures software solutions that adhere to standards and technical design, while satisfying business requirements. May receive guidance from more senior technologists.
- De-installs or decommissions technology that is not supported, utilized or compliant.
- Performs software post-installation verification.
- Manages own tasks within a work plan. Keeps work plan up-to-date, adjusting and documenting changes as necessary to meet deliverables and deadlines.
- Recognizes and escalates quality, deadline, or deliverables issues within own work plan to team leads or project managers
- Develops and maintains required technical documentation.
- New Technology (10%)
- Maintains awareness of emerging technologies and assists in the research and development of new processes and products related to the technologies used and supported by the unit.
- Researches problems and potential resolutions, including, but not limited to, application patches, upgrades and service releases with enterprise applications and systems.
- Partners with clients, consultants, applications technologists, external stakeholders, and other I/S units to understand business and systems requirements and proactively identify systems needed to support the business.
- Creates reports and presentations for peer and management review and consumption.
- Documents learning activities illustrating a commitment to ongoing learning and growth.
- Achieve Results
- Be Accountable
- Maximize Customer Experience
- Technical Expertise
Specialized Knowledge and Skills Requirements
- Basic knowledge and understanding of infrastructure architecture principles and frameworks.
- Basic knowledge and understanding of software development, software architecture, and testing technologies.
- Basic knowledge and understanding of one or more infrastructure technologies such as database, network, security, server, storage, and workstations.
- Demonstrated information technology experience with a broad exposure to application development, infrastructure/network, and multiplatform environments.
- Ability to participate in 24x7 off hour/on call on a rotating basis.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes health, life and dental insurance, a 401(K) plan, paid holidays, vacation and sick leave and the opportunity for career development. If you would like to put your career in motion apply online today!
A career move to join American Family Insurance may also mean a physical move for you. If you are selected for an interview, information will be provided on the level of relocation assistance available during the interview.
Offer to selected candidate will be made contingent on the results of background checks.
Please review the job requirements.