FUNDRAISING & SPONSORSHIP INTERNBookmark This
American Heritage Society
416 Hungerford Drive, Suite 216
DescriptionThe American Heritage Society (AHS) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit educational organization located in Rockville, MD. It publishes the 60-year-old American Heritage Magazine, the oldest and most respected magazine about American history. Its website contains 10,000 digitized essays by famous historians. See http://www.americanheritage.com. American Heritage recently published its much-praised 60th Anniversary issue, with articles by 14 Pulitzer Prize-winning authors.
The American Heritage Society is seeking a highly motivated individual pursuing a career in the non-profit industry with an interest in fundraising, sponsorship, sales and marketing to assist in fundraising and sponsorship effort. This unpaid internship is an opportunity to gain valuable real-work experience in the development and execution of sponsorship and fundraising strategy. The internship will provide the ideal candidate with substantial experience in non–profit development and management, grant writing, researching donor prospects, sponsorship outreach, in addition to gaining valuable office experience while working on an exciting new initiative.
ResponsibilitiesResponsibilities will include the following:
• Assist with researching prospective donors.
• Initiate fundraising / sponsorship opportunities via sales calling
• Compile database of prospective funding sources
• Initiate fundraising process
• Follow up on grants and fundraising applications and/or relationship-building
• Track fundraising activities and deadlines
• Conduct research related to sponsorship strategy
• Formulate plans for future enhancement to online fundraising strategy
• Preparing proposals to potential sponsors
• Coordinating special projects and mailings
• Assist in maintaining sponsor databases
• Perform other duties as assigned
RequirementsWe are seeking motivated and responsible college students or young professionals looking to gain experience working with a non–profit. Prior interning experience is not a requirement, but we do require you to have a strong work ethic and willingness to learn.
• Excellent verbal and written communications skills
• Desire to continuously learn and confidence in asking questions
• Enthusiastic and outgoing
• Ability to work organize, prioritize and work independently
• Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
• Customer service or client-relationship experience
• Fundraising and grant-writing experience preferred
• Demonstrated ability to handle complex tasks
• Knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint
• Computer/online/digital media savvy
Preference will be given to candidates who possess prior experience in the field of fundraising and/or philanthropy, coupled with an interest in international affairs.