Fall Editorial Internship at GeekosystemBookmark This
584 Broadway, Suite 510
New York, NY
DescriptionGeekosystem is seeking editorial interns for the fall semester! The ideal candidate is a current college or graduate student looking for hands-on writing experience at a news startup.
Geekosystem is a news blog at the cutting edge of technology and Internet culture with the mission of uniting all the tribes of geekdom under one common banner. There’s a lot of overlap between the different families of geekery: The geeks who are into gadgets and computers are often one and the same as the geeks who are into comics and sci-fi, who are often the same as the geeks who are fueling the culture of the Web — one forum or imageboard at a time.
Geekosystem is a property of Abrams Media. Abrams Media is a group of editorial websites including Mediaite, a media news website; Geekosystem, a site devoted to tech and geek culture; Styleite, which covers beauty and fashion; SportsGrid, on sports and sports-related media; The Mary Sue, a site for female geeks; The Braiser, devoted to celebrity chefs; and The Jane Dough, which examines the business and political worlds through the female prism. Our CEO, Dan Abrams, is the on-air Legal Analyst for ABC News, an anchor for that network and the former General Manager of MSNBC.
ResponsibilitiesHere are the two biggest things we’re looking for in applicants:
• The primary qualification for this job is an encyclopedic knowledge of and obsessive enthusiasm for multiple aspects of geek culture. If you are knowledgeable about weird, cutting-edge tech phenomena, follow gadget and consumer electronics news, and/or possess a deep knowledge of video games and/or science fiction, then this is the internship for you.
• The secondary qualification is being able to write quickly and clearly, without weird grammatical or spelling issues, on topics that you yourself think up/discover on the interwebs.
Bonus points if you have the following qualifications:
• Knowledge of blogging software.
• Knowledge of the major personalities and figures in geekdom and the tech world.
• Experience with photo-editing software.
Our interns spend most of their time writing, and most definitely receive bylines for all of their stories.
If interested, please attach ALL of the following documents to your application email to be sent to email@example.com:
• A resume/CV, including references (please include any weird skills you might have, like knowledge of FORTRAN or a Wizards of the Coast tournament ranking)
• Any two samples of your academic or journalistic writing, each preferably in a different style (long-form vs. short-form, magazine vs. blog, etc.) (Although we are a blog! So keep that in mind when deciding what to submit)
• A brief (one-page) cover letter explaining why your experience, knowledge, and personality make you the ideal intern for a geek culture blog. Please also discuss your favorite Internet meme in your cover letter; if you don’t, we’ll know you didn’t read the entire posting! We're sneaky like that.
• Our fall internships run from September to December, with flexible start and end dates
• The internship is based in our offices in SoHo, New York (although the right candidate can work remotely). Interns would need to be able to work a minimum of 2 days per week.
• Interns must be current college or graduate students who can receive academic credit for the internship; interns will be unpaid