Field Management Trainee - Philadelphia RegionBookmark This
DescriptionField Management Trainee - Philadelphia Region-OPE014232 Description Company Overview: Con-way Freight is the premier provider of reliable, regional, inter-regional and nationwide LTL service to customers large and small across our integrated, single North American network of LTL operating locations. Recently, Fortune Magazine named Con-way the "Most Admired Company" in the transportation and logistics industry. At Con-way, you will work alongside a top caliber management team that not only understands the transportation industry but the importance of utilizing and developing top talent. If you are looking to build a solid and long-lasting career where you will be recognized and rewarded for your hard work, look to Con-way. Apply today and find out why more than 30,000 people have made Con-way their employer of choice! Job Summary: At Con-way, there are many opportunities to grow into a management position. One of the most notable is the Field Management Trainee (FMT) program. This is a 13 week entry level program designed to develop the skills necessary to run one of our service centers. You will shadow one or more of our operations managers in order to learn the business from someone who knows the job. You will graduate into a position of leadership and responsibility. As a FMT, you will learn how to manage the heartbeat of our operation by gaining a working understanding of sales, customer service, safety, profitability, efficiency and other facets of a logistics business. You will learn firsthand how to lead a team of professionals who all strive toward a common goal whether they work on the dock or drive our trucks. You will teach and inspire by encouraging team members to grow their skills and become more efficient, effective and professional in their respective roles. An understanding of how to run one of our service centers establishes a solid foundation of knowledge about Con-way which will prepare you for other opportunities where you can grow with the company. Description of Essential Job Functions:
- Participate in a 13 week management training program, working all shifts including days, evenings, nights and weekends, learning details of how to effectively and efficiently lead team members at one of our service centers
- Communicate effectively with your trainers, facilitator and Region Manager.
- Complete assignments on-time.
- Meet weekly goals and objectives.
- Safely walk stand for extended periods of time on a loading dock that is not climate-controlled and may be slippery.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds frequently and greater than 75 lbs. occasionally
- Safely climb in and out of a tractor cab trailer.
- Safely walk, reach (including above your head), bend, climb, push, pull, twist, squat kneel as necessary to perform the job duties.
- Master the skills necessary to receive, unload, load, ship and track our freight
- Take initiative to learn Con-way operations through the use of online learning, reading, observing and working side by side several of our managers as well as dock workers and drivers
- Track and organize freight, manpower and trucks; Organize the logistics operations to run as effectively, efficiently and as safely as possible, maximizing time and profitability
- Assist manage a team of 10-30 people, being the go to person at one of our service centers
- Directly interface with our customers to process orders, troubleshoot and solve problems.
- Prompt, daily attendance at assigned work location.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree, active course work toward attainment of a Bachelor’s degree by the first day worked, and/or equivalent experience in the Supply Chain Management, Logistics, or Transportation fields. Commensurate military experience may substitute for the qualifications listed above.
- Transportation/Distribution/Logistics degree programs preferred.
- Willing to relocate for future opportunities.
- Aptitude for front line supervisory positions and operations management.
- Take responsibility for decisions and actions.
- Demonstrate the ability to lead and motivate others.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with ability to organize and present information.
- Time management skills.
- Strong work ethic/stable work history.
- Industry experience is a plus.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, and Outlook).
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer M/F/D/VJob Operations Primary Location United States-Pennsylvania-Greencastle Other Locations United States-Maryland-Baltimore, United States-New Jersey-Cinnaminson, United States-Pennsylvania-York, United States-Maryland-Jessup, United States-Pennsylvania-Allentown, United States-Pennsylvania-King of Prussia, United States-Virginia-Winchester