Firmware Engineer Intern (Intern/Co-Op)Bookmark This
DescriptionTitle: Firmware Engineer Intern Location: Irvine, CA Hours per Week: 40 Work Authorization: U.S. Citizen, US Permanent Resident Tyco Business Unit: Tyco > Tyco Retail Solutions COMPANY OVERVIEW Tyco (NYSE: TYC) is the world's largest pure-play fire and security company. Tyco provides more than three million customers around the globe with the latest fire protection and security products and services. A $10+ billion company, Tyco has more than 69,000 employees in 1,000 locations in nearly 50 countries serving the world's most demanding environments, including banking and financial services, oil and gas, marine, government, healthcare, retail, home security, transportation and commercial and industrial. More information on Tyco can be found at www.tyco.com. BUSINESS UNIT OVERVIEW Tyco Retail Solutions, a unit of Tyco, is a leading global provider of integrated retail performance and security solutions, deployed today at more than 80 percent of the world's top 200 retailers. Customers range from single-store boutiques to global retail enterprises. Over the past 40 years, our retail solutions have kept hundreds of millions of people safe. Our Sensormatic electronic article surveillance (EAS) products have protected more than 80 million products in the past decade, making it the most trusted brand in retail loss prevention. Operating in more than 70 countries worldwide, Tyco Retail Solutions provides retailers with real-time visibility to their inventory and assets to improve operations, optimize profitability and create memorable shopper experiences. More information on TRS can be found at www.tycoretailsolutions.com. DEPARTMENT OVERVIEW Hardware Engineering is offering a paid internship for a qualified student. The intern will report to a Senior Firmware Engineer throughout the term and will be given opportunities to work on business critical projects. Upon successful completion of the assignment, the intern will be asked to give a formal presentation to a group of executives, managers, and associates. JOB OVERVIEW The Firmware Engineering Intern will gain exposure to a wide variety of challenging tasks in the area of designing, implementing, building, and testing RFID intelligence and loss prevention solutions using one or more RFID readers. Roles Responsibilities
- Design and implement firmware for RFID readers and related embedded devices
- Evaluate schematic designs
- Test RFID solutions, equipment and tags
- Perform patches, versioning, and deployment
- Perform firmware tests before releasing builds to QA
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor's degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science and Engineering, or Electrical Engineering with at least 3 years of study completed.
- Experience with C, SVN, shell scripts, Ubuntu Linux, cross development toolchains, eclipse, and Java
- General understanding of RF and embedded devices
- Must demonstrate superior ability to understand, analyze and assess a wide variety of complex business and/or software development issues. Is able to draw conclusions from complex situations, then recommend and execute a course of action in both a timely and decisive manner.
- Must demonstrate excellent written and verbal communication skills. Is able to organize and present ideas in a convincing and compelling manner to a small and large audience.
- Contributes to the creation of a team-based, collaborative environment, promoting candor and receptivity, clarity of purpose, and a commitment to achieve business goals.