Golden Oak Horticultural Internship - Spring 2015Bookmark This
Disney Professional Internships
Lake Buena Vista, FL
Golden Oak Horticultural Internship - Spring 2015
Company Overview: Since its opening in 1971, the Walt Disney World Resort near Orlando, FL has grown to feature four theme parks - the Magic Kingdom® Park, Epcot®, Disney's Hollywood Studios®, and Disney's Animal Kingdom® Theme Park. In addition, more than 20 themed resort hotels, two water parks, and the Downtown Disney® Area, a daytime and nighttime entertainment complex, are part of the Walt Disney World Resort.
Department Overview: The goal of Golden Oak's vegetable garden development project is to bring only the freshest ingredients into the restaurant all while educating the guest in the agricultural process and having a continued financial impact on the overall food cost as the garden continues to grow and expand. This agricultural project would mark the first of its kind in the Disney Company for any of its commercial restaurants. The locavore movement has made great strides in urban cities throughout the world to bring the freshest produce to restaurant patrons on a daily basis where every day agricultural farms are not readily available. Here we wish to utilize the talents of the Horticulture team at the "Land" at Epcot to follow their growing principles that have found great success over the past years for the company. By hiring a groomed intern, we will be able to develop an area very similar to that of theirs on a smaller scale to entice the resident on a daily basis.
* Maintain a high-quality garden/agriculture area in and around Golden Oak property. Propagate, transplant, irrigate, prune and harvest a wide variety of plants.
* Provide show-quality maintenance and general cleanup: washing, raking and sweeping garden areas.
* Lead informative and interactive resident demonstrations through the facility.
* Participate in training sessions, classes and meetings, as scheduled.
* Maintain/Garden and Hydroponics Systems introduced by Vertigro tower management.
* Meet with Chef's weekly for ideas of New Menu Items Needed.
These are the minimum qualifications you need to be considered for this position:
* College student or recent college graduate. Graduate students are not eligible for this internship.
* Minimum overall GPA of 2.0.
* Applicable background and/ or major in Plant Science, Horticulture, Food Crops, Biology, etc.
* Strong interest in working with food crops.
* Ability to interact with Golden Oak Residents and their guests, as well as Cast Members.
* Team player with demonstrated verbal communication skills, work ethic, reliable transportation, and willingness to work on a flexible schedule.
* Basic Understanding of Computer simulation for designing of Landscape, urban open spaces
* Public speaking to teach classes on subject matter referring to agriculture
Job Posting Industries
Leisure and Travel
* Must be enrolled in a college/university taking at least one class in the semester/quarter (spring/fall) prior to participation in the internship program OR must have graduated from a college/university within 6 months of the start date of the internship for which you are applying for OR currently participating in a Disney College Program or Disney Professional Internship
* Must be at least 18 years of age
* Not have already completed two consecutive (spring/fall) College or Professional Internship Programs
* Must possess unrestricted work authorization
* Must provide full work availability
* Must provide own transportation to/from work
* Current Active Disney cast members must meet Professional Internship transfer guidelines (for Walt Disney World cast members this is no more than four points and one reprimand in the last six months; for Disneyland cast members this is six months of consecutive service and a performance record clear of any disciplinary issues (warnings, suspensions, etc.) for at least six months)
Program Length: The approximate dates of this internship are January 2015 through June 2015. Interns must be fully available for the duration of the internship.
Housing: A limited amount of company-sponsored housing is available on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Recommendation - Print This Role Description: Strong candidates may be invited to complete a phone interview. We strongly encourage applicants to print a copy of this role description so they can refer to it in the event they are selected for a phone interview. Note that this role description will not be accessible once the posting is closed.